The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Solutions Development and Implementation
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to manage the identification, specification, programming, development, testing, documentation, and implementation of the application and business software solutions required by a large Ministry/Department.
Duties include: managing the needs identification and requirements development processes; managing the software development and implementation processes for application and business software; designing and implementing change management processes; developing programmes to encourage the optimal utilisation of all software solutions; maintaining stakeholder engagement; commissioning of maintainable, secure and efficient software solutions; and supervision of professional, technical and support employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the application software development and implementation projects of the Ministry/Department, identifies and mitigates project risk and takes actions to ensure quality in delivery and effective utilisation of resources.
- Manages the analysis, planning and implementation stages of business and operational software releases, including risk assessment and stakeholder consultation and coordination in accordance with established processes and procedures.
- Manages business readiness planning, inclusive of IT deployment, data migration and transition support, necessary for facilitating the change arising from the deployment and integration of new information system capabilities into the operations of the Ministry/Department.
- Develops and maintains the policies, standards and procedures for information management in the Ministry/Department.
- Analyses and interprets the business goals, objectives and strategies of the Ministry/Department and develops appropriate business models, plans, and requirements; and specifies business processes which drive improvements in the information systems and data management within the Ministry/Department.
- Identifies new and alternative approaches to performing the business activities of the Ministry/Department, including the automation of processes, and implementing the changes in the business processes.
- Develops specifications for information systems to meet the business and operational needs of the Ministry/Department, consistent with corporate standards and within the constraints of cost, security and efficiency.
- Provides close technical oversight for all stages of the application software development and enhancement processes with a view to ensuring compliance with agreed standards, specifications and best practices.
- Coordinates and manages the planning and execution of the system and acceptance testing of new, enhanced or amended information systems.
- Conducts security risk assessments and business impact analyses for all business applications within the Ministry/Department, and implements appropriate security strategies and controls.
- Provides inputs in the service continuity planning process and implements the resulting plans for all application software.
- Manages the installation or decommissioning of application software in accordance with established quality standards.
- Plans the information storage, sharing and publishing within the Ministry/Department and implements document and record management systems.
- Reviews software development and implementation processes in accordance with established quality assurance standards.
- Keeps abreast of the ICT market to understand new and emerging software technologies and products, and assesses their relevance and potential value to the Ministry/Department.
- Keeps abreast of specific technical specialisation in the areas of software development and implementation processes and application software and provides advice regarding their application.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within an organisation.
- Considerable knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Some knowledge of relevant financial and procurement processes, rules and regulations.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams and technical and professional staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to implement leading-edge technology solutions.
- Ability to negotiate and manage complex technical contracts.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage change in the public sector.
- Ability to promote teamwork and to manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum of five years’ experience at a management level in the area of ICT, including at least two (2) years in the development, implementation and operation of business and application software systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or related area.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience at a management level in the area of ICT, including at least four (4) years in the development, implementation and operation of business and application software systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree.
- Certification in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience at a management level in the area of ICT, in addition to at least five (5) years’ experience in the development, implementation and operation of business and application software systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a two-year Diploma/Certificate in IT from a recognised institution.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.