The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager Spectrum Management and Monitoring
Job SummaryThe Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (the Authority) invites applications from dynamic, forward-thinking individuals for the position of Manager Spectrum Management and Monitoring.
To plan, develop, manage, administer and monitor the national radio frequency spectrum resource inclusive of the development of a National Spectrum Plan, allocation of radio frequency spectrum and licensing for all mobile and fixed wireless systems.
- Identify new and emerging wireless technologies globally and in the ITU-R Region 2 to facilitate further growth of Trinidad and Tobago’s telecommunications sector.
- Analyse frequency spectrum, recommend frequency bands and associated approaches to the licensing of spectrum, in conformance with the Telecommunications Act and International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Conventions.
- Develop and manage the overall National Spectrum Plan consistent with ITU recommendations and national interests.
- Develop frameworks/policies, plans and procedures for the allocation and assignment of the frequency spectrum for National Security, Law Enforcement and Emergency services, Fixed Commercial and Non-Commercial wireless services, Mobile Commercial and Non-Commercial wireless services, Emerging wireless services and Universal Service requirements, in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Develop technical requirements to be included in tender documents for the authorisation of frequency spectrum.
- Administer the licensing process within the Division.
- Manage and maintain frequency inventory, frequency requests and frequency assignments.
- Identify and coordinate frequency spectrum audit activities of the Authority to ensure authorised use of spectrum and minimisation of interference among licensees.
- Develop and administrate spectrum management and monitoring systems of the Authority, and associated tools for proper management and administration of the national spectrum resource.
- Identify and perform frequency coordination activities with other administrations.
- Keep abreast of international telecommunications industry developments in spectrum engineering and trends in wireless technologies.
- Provide advice, guidance and technical assistance to other Divisions in the Authority on issues relating to Spectrum Management and Monitoring.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the Spectrum Management and Monitoring Department in consultation with the Division Head and provide advice, guidance, coaching and on the job training for staff as required.
- Ensure a safe and harmonious work environment, by treating with staff issues and resource requirements in a consistent and timely manner in accordance with the Authorities policies and procedures.
- Set performance objectives, monitor goal attainment and conduct staff performance appraisals in accordance with the performance management system
- Perform other related duties as required by job function.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recognised Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees in Engineering, Telecommunications or related field.
- Recognised Master of Business Administration (MBA) would be an asset.
- Minimum of six (6) years’ experience in spectrum management with emphasis on radio frequency engineering or related field at a managerial level or equivalent, of which a minimum of three (3) years includes supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Experience in Project Management.
Professional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- International Telecommunications Authorities activities and recommendations, such as ITU-R, ITU-T, FCC, Industry Canada.
- Spectrum management and telecommunications regulatory principles, licensing methods and best practices.
- Equipment and tools utilized in monitoring radio frequency spectrum.
- Computer applications for the management of national telecommunications resources.
- MS Office Suite inclusive of Project.
- Database Management Systems.
- Radio frequency engineering and telecommunications design techniques and best practice.
- Design and operation of radio communications systems.
- Operating and maintaining operational support systems.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Operate as a team player, share knowledge and contribute willingly to team efforts.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and under well-defined timelines.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Display initiative in keeping abreast of policy and technological changes in the telecommunications sector.
- Strong leadership, managerial and team development capabilities.