The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Support Services (GMG/SEG 1)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post Manager, Support Services (GMG/SEG 1) in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Meteorology Services Branch, the incumbent will provide efficient and effective human resource management and development, administration, asset management and accounting services within the Meteorological Services Division.
- Co-ordinates the operational activities of the Branch; to monitor conformity to the Branch objective through regular meetings and directives;
- Represents the Division and the Ministry at relevant meetings, seminars and functions;
- Develops individual Work Plan aligned to the Strategic and Operational Plan of the Division;
- Prepares and submits monthly progress reports on the work of the Branch to the Director;
- Manages the two (2) staff quarters (Kingston and Montego Bay);
- Implements administrative and asset management policies and procedures in keeping with Government guidelines and regulations;
- Assists in the development of the Procurement Plan for the Division based on liaisons and needs analysis for the various Divisions and Units for the Meteorological Services;
- Assists in the procurement of furniture, equipment and services for the Branches in collaboration with the Procurement Officer;
- Participates in the development of a Disaster Recovery Manual for the Ministry and implements the procedures within the Manual as required;
- Develops and maintains the inventory of equipment assigned to Units and monitors their proper use and maintenance;
- Ensures that the policies and objectives of the Administration and Support Services Branch and those of the Division are communicated in writing, to all front line supervisors located throughout the island;
- Provides the Director with information on the staff for materials, supplies, equipment and statutory requirements of the Branch;
- Monitors that utilities are provided and properly maintained such as light, power and air conditioning;
- Monitors the Division’s adherence to service standards set out in the Citizen’s Charter and other service delivery agreement documents;
- Conducts the initial orientation programme for the new recruits, seeing that employees are fully acquainted with all job requirements which include a list of duties and responsibilities and written procedures about the job they are to perform;
- Organizes training and development activities in conjunction with Director Human Resource Development;
- Supports and facilitates the implementation of major human resource programmes, such as PMAS, Succession Planning programmes;
- Maintains an up-to-date human resources inventory for the Division ensuring that all pertinent human resources form and questionnaires are completed;
- Monitors Monthly Attendance Reports;
- Manages the Finance, Accounting and Record Keeping functions of the Branch and monitors that Government Accounting principles are enforced;
- Monitors the adherence to procurement guidelines as it relates to distribution and custody of the furniture, equipment, instruments, machines and stationary supplies;
- Monitors balances in each object, to ensure that they are not exceeded;
- Monitors bills are verified and submitted to the Ministry for payment in accordance with the provisions of the Financial Administration and Audit Act;
- Manages the process of payment vouchers being properly prepared certified and authorized for payment;
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommend and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Branch and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Facilitates welfare and development of staff in the Branch;
- Contributes to and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and organization’s goals;
- Contributes to the development and implementation succession planning framework in collaboration with the Human Resource Division through the development of procedural manuals and other duties prescribed within the framework;
- Performs any other related duties as may be required for the smooth and efficient running of the Meteorological Service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of Government Human Resource, Administration and Accounting Systems and Procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Teamwork and co-operation skills
- Results and goal oriented
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Excellent people management skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Public Sector Management/Business Administration or related discipline;
- Three years’ experience in an administrative capacity, with proven experience in Human Resource Management and Administration.
Salary range $1,348,545 – $1,602,996 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.