The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Job SummaryThe Medical Laboratory Technologist provides information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests in haematology, immunology and microbiology laboratories.
The incumbent is responsible for receiving, typing, testing and recording all test inventories.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines normal and abnormal components of body fluids by conducting chemical analysis of blood, urine, spinal fluids, and gastric juices.
- Analyzes blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using microscopic techniques and procedures.
- Prepares blood, plasma, and platelets for transfusions by conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Ensures operation of laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides medical technology information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control and hazardous waste policies and protocols; following identification procedures.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects the hospital by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Performs other duties related to the core functions of the position as assigned by the Direct Supervisor or the Specialist Medical Officer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of testing, interpreting and validating results
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to earn trust and keep confidentiality
- Ability to demonstrate empathy to patients
- Ability to demonstrate a positive work ethic that supports the quality of service provided by the centre and clinics
- Ability to learn assigned tasks of limited complexity and variety readily.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and the public.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and accurately record information
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Ability to use initiative to find solutions for simple work related issues.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a Medical Laboratory Technician’s Diploma or any equivalent combination of experience and training
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the positions will be contacted.