The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Ministry of Health - Speech Writer / Researcher
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of Trinidad and Tobago for the post of Ministry of Health - Speech Writer / Researcher, on contract, for a period of three (3) years, in the Ministry of Health.
The incumbent is required to conduct in-depth research and prepare, write and edit executive and other speeches, releases, articles, letters and other communication documents for use by the Ministry/Department. Duties involve researching material for writing assignments; submitting assignments within agreed timelines and ensuring relevance and currency of content.
- Head – Corporate Communications or designated officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Writes, edits and prepares a range of documents including speeches, feature addresses, speaking notes, briefs, messages, letters, releases, PowerPoint presentations, articles and other communications documents.
- Researches the materials required for the writing and editing of all speeches/communications documents and provide input for the analysis required for the development, implementation, review and evaluation of new and existing policies.
- Sources information-related issues in reports (local, regional and international), the electronic print and other media at libraries and other archives for reference and record keeping purposes.
- Submits speeches and other communications documents within timelines given.
- Reviews speeches and other communications documents to ensure that information is relevant, up to date and addresses national and other issues as required.
- Maintains indexed archive file of all speeches/communication documents.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of New Media.
- Knowledge of media issues, social marketing theory and practice, communications strategies and behavioural sciences.
- Knowledge of marketing, public relations, advertising, promotion and other communications methods.
- Knowledge of modem techniques of news gathering and release.
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media.
- Knowledge of Video Production.
- Knowledge of the Constitution of The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of the organisational structure of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of protocol procedures.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in conducting research and in conceptual and analytical thinking.
- Skill in writing and editing, including a strong command of English.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from a wide variety of sources, and summarize in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact in interacting with others.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/ external partners.
Minimum Experience and Training
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Mass Communications or Public Relations or a related area, with an emphasis on performing writing and editing duties for senior managerial/executive personnel.
- Training as evidenced by a recognised University Degree in Communications Studies or in a related field or a post graduate Diploma in a related field.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however unsuitable/late applications will not be acknowledged.