The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryApplicants are invited to fill the vacant position of Nursing Director at St. Jude Hospital.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing appropriate clinical leadership and management and overall supervision of all administrative, clinical practice and quality of care aspects of the nursing services being delivered by the hospital. She/he is responsible for developing and promoting a high standard of practice and delivering high quality patient care through the development and enforcement of protocols, establishment of practice guidelines, implementation of effective policies and procedures and to ensure continued professional development through facilitation of mentoring and education.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree in Nursing Management/Health Service Management.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of clinical nursing experience
- Five (5) years, experience in managing staff at a senior level in a public and private hospital.
- Administrative skills and experience in senior managerial position
- Registered or be eligible to apply for licensure with the St. Lucia Nursing Council to practice in St. Lucia.
- Possess valid driver’s license, endorse in accordance with the St. Lucia Licensing Board.
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of Nursing Director. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes.
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Be impartial in judgment and decision making
Summary of key duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team of the hospital.
- Must be a mature and responsible individual.
- Develop and implement principles of practice, clinical care protocols and appropriate policies and procedures consistent with standards of best practice, Accreditation and Regulatory Bodies. Ensure that the Nursing Policies and Procedures Manual is reviewed/revised and finalized for approval on an annual basis
- Ensure all work is completed in accordance with appropriate service standards, policies and procedure, and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement to new and existing policies and procedures in order to improve efficiency.
- Ensure continuous performance review and development within the Nursing Division. Established agreed set goals and objectives with Nurse Managers which are in line with their overall professional development and the strategic business objectives of the hospital.
- Develop and maintain systems of clinical practice in partnership with the Medical Director to ensure that the delivery of the highest possible standards of patient care is the hallmark of the hospital’s healthcare delivery system and that patient safety is at its core.
- Responsible for working cooperatively with the Medical Director in the development and implementation of the annual Clinical Action Plan based on the St. Jude Hospital Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for working with the Director of Finance & Budgeting in the overall planning, development and monitoring of the annual budget for the Nursing Division.
- Develop the management infrastructure required to support the Nursing Director; inclusive of the development of clinical leadership at all levels within the Nursing Service division and designating roles for the Nursing Staff in continuing education, training and research.
- Responsible to lead and perform special projects as determine by the Chief Executive Officer or the St. Jude Hospital Board.
- Representations at negotiations meetings, local and international forums or as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Assist the St. Jude Hospital Board in fulfilling its statutory role in dealing with Nursing Staff issues, by providing expert advice as required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must effectively oversee the clinical practice of the Nursing Staff.
- Must have excellent leadership and managerial skills
- Ability to deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complicated information, set priorities and effectively manage assignments.
- Possess critical thinking, supervisory, teaching and training skills.
- Possess strong analytical, negotiating and advisory skills
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and concisely using both oral and written communication.
- Assertive in the presentation of ideas and sensitive to the values of the Board, Management, Staff and other key stakeholders within the healthcare system.
- Excellent organizational, time management and team building skills
- Ability to inspire, influence, engender collegiality, mutual trust and direct the behavior of professionals, across all levels of the organization in the achievement of common goals.
- Ability to use sound judgment in assessing motivations, situations and being able to grasp the source, nature and key dimensions of problems.
- Ability to use own initiative to arrive at appropriate conclusions and make strategic decisions from available information and take appropriate action.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications
- Must be flexible with working hours
Salaries will be paid in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government of St. Lucia in the Estimates of Expenditure commensurate with experience and qualifications for the post.
Applications accompanied by resume and certified certificates should be submitted no later than Friday, March 31st, 2017
(Whilst we thank all applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted)