The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Onboard Training Specialist
Job SummaryThe Onboard Training Specialist oversees the ship training center, and conducts general training courses including, but not limited to, Hospitality, Company Orientation, Ship Familiarization, Management Training, and Customer Service Training.
Job Summary and Essential Job Functions:
Responsible for oversight of onboard training budget and supplies, including the Learning Center and all individual computer-based classes. Responsible for all related record keeping. Coordinate and assist with company recognition programs, including Vacation Hero. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Conduct training for all generally applicable courses using a variety of training methods and styles (i.e., Adult Learning Theory) to ensure retention and transfer of learning. Such courses include Company Orientation, Ship Familiarization, New Supervisor/Manager Training, and Hospitality and Service.
- Conduct training using a variety of media (i.e., computer, projector, actual models/objects, etc.) and programs in order to ensure optimum effect and retention.
- Learn and conduct training from a facilitator manual and utilize prepared resources; understand the importance of following facilitator manual to ensure consistent training from class to class and vessel to vessel.
- Develop specialized coursework with the approval and direction of shore side Training and Development.
- Coordinate a group of departmental trainers to ensure completion of job specific Position Based Training (PBT).
- Provide constructive feedback to improve performance and follow-up information to assist coaching and support for management.
- Maintain accurate training records in the company system of records, MAPS.
- Coordinate use of Learning Center and onboard training rooms. Set optimum schedule for learners while guaranteeing limited impact on ship operations and the needs of the business. Ensure training attendance as required without repetition.
- Troubleshoot technical issues or seek technical support in order to deliver training.
- Oversee the computer-based training library and is responsible for tracking the use and possession of those materials.
- Creates and manages an agenda and conducts meetings accordingly.
- Coordinates with ship management to facilitate Vacation Hero initiatives and recognition programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree (US system) or equivalent in adult teaching/training/development or a related field.
- Teaching certificate or trainer certification from a reputable institution and/or ESL Certification is preferred.
- Two years of training and/or teaching experience in a business setting is required.
- Must have advanced verbal and written skills in standard American English.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in MS Office suite, especially Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.