The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Online Facilitators - Values-based Heritage Site Management (HIST6820)
Job SummaryThe Programme Delivery Department, PDD, is currently inviting applications for part-time online Group Facilitators for the Values-based Heritage Site Management (HIST6820) Graduate Course.
Values-based Heritage Site Management (HIST6820) is a three credit graduate course designed to increase students’ knowledge and understanding of values-based heritage management; and provide them with the skills/tools to become active change agents in the management of Caribbean heritage sites.
The Contractee is considered the Group Facilitator for an assigned group in a particular course. As such, he or she is the person who guides students in the study of the course, facilitates interaction among them and supports them in their effort to function as independent learners. The contract is for a period of four (4) months with the University of the West Indies, Open Campus.
Duties of Group Facilitators for Graduate courses
The Contractee will be expected to complete the following duties and tasks during the preparation for and execution of the assigned course.
- Participate in briefing session(s) that the Course Coordinator conducts for Group Facilitators at the beginning of the trimester.
- Study the course materials and all supplementary materials thoroughly, prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Identify areas of the course content that are likely to be difficult for the learners, and devise strategies for dealing with these in the online tutoring environment
- Post an introductory greeting in the ‘Group Lounge’ forum and interact with the learners as they make their initial posting
- Guide the learning experience of all students and act as a resource for learners as they move through the course.
- Where required or deemed appropriate, make available additional materials to enhance the learning experience of the students.
- Respond to all student queries in the Tutor-Student Exchange and other course forums.
- Where necessary, access information from the appropriate sources in order to address the matter raised.
- Provide guidance on all learning activities.
- Regularly communicate with individual students via e-mail to counsel, advise and motivate them in accordance with the UWI Open Campus Promise.
- Regularly contribute to all discussions and provide appropriate feedback to learners.
- Grade and provide individual feedback for all course assignments, based on the marking scheme provided by the Course Coordinator. Submit grades to the Courses Co0rdinator within two weeks of submission, or online completion, of each assignment.
End of Course Activities
- Prepare and submit the marking sheet as instructed by the Course Coordinator.
- Submit a report based on an evaluation of the course content and delivery to the Course Coordinator and Programme Manager.
Engaged Team Member
- Actively participate as a course team member and share ideas and exchange discussions with peer tutors or your guiding Course Coordinator.
- Actively engage in all virtual meetings called by the Course Coordinator.
- Actively engage in all virtual meetings called by the Programme Manager and the Programme Delivery Department.
- At minimum, applicants should hold a completed Master’s degree in a relevant field with evidence of qualifications in the chosen course and appropriate teaching experience at the tertiary level. Persons pursuing, or who have completed a PhD/ EdD, will have a distinct advantage.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete UWI Open Campus training in online instruction prior to the start of teaching.
- Reliable access to a computer with fast speed Internet connectivity.
- Good working knowledge of the Internet and use of Microsoft Office products.
- Good written communication skills for interacting in the online environment.
- Sensitivity to the needs of students from diverse settings and backgrounds.
Facilitators will be paid a fixed fee on satisfactory completion of all assigned tasks; this fee covers a contribution towards the cost of Internet usage for the course. All fees will be subject to tax.
Interested applicants must complete the UWI Open Campus application form along with a cover letter and curriculum vitae.