The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Outreach and Education Program Coordinator
Job SummaryThe successful candidate will work with the Assistant Director of the Virgin Islands Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VI-EPSCoR) to successfully execute media, communications, and community outreach and education activities
Under general supervision, the successful candidate will work with the Assistant Director of the Virgin Islands Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VI-EPSCoR) to successfully execute media, communications, and community outreach and education activities as they relate to the Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines, and the mission of the Virgin Islands Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VI-EPSCoR).
He/she will also be responsible for producing and managing VI-EPSCoR's newsletters, website, and other informational materials to publicize the program's activities. This will include interacting with local and external scientists and integrating research findings into informational materials. The successful candidate will also assist with developing outreach and education initiatives, including K-12 formal and informal STEM education, preparing and submitting proposals for funding, and providing for administrative infrastructure support of the activities and preparation of progress, annual and other VI-EPSCoR reports. He/she will also collaborate with other UVI units as directed, on related outreach and education activities. The applicant will also ensure the collection of relevant outreach and education metrics to be used in evaluating project successes. The successful candidate will assume primary leadership in convening community meetings and events, including the annual VI-EPSCoR conference. He/she will conduct all other related duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor's degree with at least five years of relevant experience and a minimum of two years' experience communicating information through print and broadcast outlets; and/or coordinating community outreach activities.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Demonstrated experience and/or ability to understand and communicate with diverse scientific and professional audiences, and to convert scientific concepts and information to layman's language;
- Strong Microsoft Office and/or Apple Macintosh skills, Website design and maintenance skills are highly desirable;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well independently and with a team;
- Ability to work well in a multicultural environment;
- Experience working in an academic environment desirable;
- Fluency in Spanish would be an asset.