The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission invites applications to fill one (1) contract position of Paralegal in the Office of the General Counsel.
The incumbent is required to provide paralegal support to the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary by assisting with the preparation of minutes of Board Committee Meetings, maintenance of files and corporate records, and the preparation of legal documents.
Corporate Secretarial Assistance -
- Provides technical support to the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary, such as drafting of Minutes of Meetings of the Board Committees and managing corporate secretarial records;
- Assists with the preparation and dissemination of Board Decisions to the various Divisions;
- Assists with the preparation of Board Resolutions;
- Assists in managing administrative arrangements for Board Committee Meetings, including the timely preparation and dispatch of minutes and agendas for meetings.
Administrative duties -
- Prepares and addresses confidential correspondence;
- Proof-reads documents prepared by, or filed with the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary;
- Assists with the preparation of presentations to be delivered by the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary;
- Monitors the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary’s schedule to ensure that urgent matters are addressed and deadlines met;
- Prioritizes and manages projects in consultation with the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary, including following up on tasks assigned to staff members;
- Files correspondence, retrieves requested files and monitors the movement of said files.
- Conducts legal research based on case law, relevant legislation and other sources, and prepares dossiers for use by the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary;
- Assists the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary in preparing for proceedings under the Securities Industry (Hearings and Settlements) Practice Rules, 2008;
- Assists the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary in fulfilling all Statutory Requirements placed on the Commission (including those requirements under the Freedom of Information Act);
- Assists with the completion of the monthly compliance checklist required by the Internal Audit Department;
- Assists in the reviewing, filing and publication of Orders of the Commission in the Orders Registry maintained by the Office of the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary;
- Assists in the preparation of briefs on legal matters to external counsel;
- Assists in the preparation of legal documents such as contracts, opinions and agreements;
- Drafts correspondence on routine legal issues.
Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role
- LLB, Diploma in Legal Studies or similar qualification
- Any other equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- Technical Competencies:
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of legal research
- Knowledge of legal drafting principles and practices
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Pays attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Integrity / Trustworthiness
- Teamwork / Cooperation
- Initiative / Drive
- Flexibility / Adaptability
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Ability to exercise initiative, tact and diplomacy and to work with minimum supervision.
E. Key Contacts
General sources of information - High Court Registry, Companies Registry, Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago, Financial Intelligence Unit, Ministry of Finance (including the Office of the Supervisor of Insolvency), Ministry of Legal Affairs and other Government departments.
Unsuitable applications will not be acknowledged.