The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Paralegal Officer (PLG/LS 5)
Job SummaryThe incumbent is responsible for providing paralegal support to the Legal Officer by conducting legal research to support legal proceedings and assisting with the preparations of legal submissions, affidavits and correspondences.
- Examines and accepts documents served on the OSC;
- Assists the Legal Officer in the preparation of cases for Court and other legal documents relevant to the OSC;
- Prepares legal documents and letters with respect to litigation and defence;
- Checks court files to ensure that documents on the files corresponds with the OSC’s files;
- Liaises with the Attorney General’s Chambers and other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) regarding matters submitted;
- Assists with gathering and analyzing research data such as those pertaining to the Public Service Regulations, the Constitution of Jamaica and other relevant Regulations;
- Assists the Legal Officer with researches related to locating precedent cases at a legal library;
- Receives and responds to telephone and email messages from clients;
- Liaises with the Registry in maintaining filing system for the Legal Unit;
- Assists in preparing legal documents, including briefs, appeals, submissions, contracts, inter alia;
- Prepares draft responses to requests for information in keeping with the Access to Information Act;
- Prepares Quarterly Reports;
- Performs any other related duties assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound Knowledge of the Laws of Jamaica, in particular the Constitution of Jamaica, the Public Service Regulations and other relevant Regulations
- Knowledge of the current Staff Orders for the Public Service
- Knowledge of legal terminologies and principles
- Proficient use of the relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Four (4) CSEC/GCE O’Level subjects, inclusive of English Language and numeric subject;
- Diploma/Certificate in Paralegal Studies;
- Three (3) years related working experience.
Salary range $918,016 – $1,091,233 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.