The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Performance Management and Appraisal Officer - (GMG/SEG1)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant post of Performance Management and Appraisal Officer in the Human Resource Management and Administration Department, Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Under the general guideline of the Director, Human Resource Management and Administration, the Performance Management and Appraisal Officer will plan and undertake by working with and through staff members at all levels, the activities necessary to support the development, maintenance, monitoring and internal assessment of the Performance Management and Appraisal System within the Ministry and its Agencies. He/She ensures that the stipulated framework and guidelines developed to ensure proper linkage between the Performance Management Appraisal System (PMAS) and organizational performance management and reward and recognition systems in each entity, are adopted/adapted, instituted and observed in principle and practice.
Corporate and Operational Planning
- § Participates in the Operational Planning activities of the Office to gain a full understanding of the Mission and Objectives of the Office to inform the activities of the Human Resource Management and Administration (HRM&A) Department in providing guidance to line managers and staff in completing their Divisional/Unit and Individual PMAS Work Plans and other related requirements of the PMAS;
- Develops an Annual Work Plan for the oversight of the operation of the PMAS.
System Development and Change Management
- § Develops, in collaboration with the Director, HRM&A and staff members, a project plan for the development of PMAS in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, and manages/supports the designated project team through to implementation;
- Ensures knowledge of the PMAS through the design and conduct of PMAS sensitization sessions within the Office;
- Develops and executes PMAS related change management initiatives in collaboration with the Director, HRM&A, managers and supervisors;
- Facilitates Unit Work Plan sessions as necessary;
- Reviews samples of Unit Work Plans and Individual Work Plans to ensure quality of content (alignment and completeness in specification);
- Develops and maintains customized PMAS manuals, templates, forms, policies and procedures in keeping with the guidelines;
- Develops customized PMAS material for employee orientation sessions;
- Participates in the delivery of training for newly appointed staff and supervisors with respect to their responsibilities under the PMAS;
- Provides coaching, guidance and information on PMAS related issues to all staff including managers and supervisors.
Monitoring and Compliance
- Agrees on the timetable for PMAS related activities over a given financial year and ensures that all staff members are advised;
- Works with managers and supervisors to ensure that PMAS Work Plans are completed for all relevant staff members within the agreed timeframe;
- Monitors compliance with the conduct of interim evaluations and provides guidance as necessary;
- Ensures that Performance Appraisals for all relevant staff members are completed on an annual basis;
- Monitors the implementation by managers of remedial and corrective action to address poor performance;
- Monitors the implementation of development plans as an important aspect of performance management;
- Ensures that Performance Appraisal Records are properly maintained;
- Maintains a confidential register of performance ratings and applicable pay awards/sanctions;
- Extracts required employee records for the audit of the system and provides other support as required for the post;
- Provides Secretarial support to the Employee Performance Management and Appraisal Team (EPMAT).
Recognition and Reward
- Ensures that staff eligible for an increment/award are identified and the Director HRM&A is notified in the stipulated timeframe;
- Participates in the work of the internal Recognition and Reward Committee to provide support to the process of determining eligibility for recognition and reward;
- Provides guidance to managers on giving recognition and rewards at all level;
- Plans and co-ordinates the arrangement of recognition and reward activities/events level.
- Prepares confidential detailed PMAS report on appraisal results for identified authorized users;
- Provides PMAS status reports monthly or as required;
- Prepares Special PMAS related reports as required.
Human Resource Management:
- Leads, prioritizes and monitors the day-to-day operations of the PMAS to ensure the effective management of all inputs and that goals and objectives are being met;
- Provides leadership and guidance to Direct Reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
Required knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated initiative
- Results oriented
- Effective customer orientation
- Effective problem solving skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- Comprehensive and sound knowledge of the PMAS as established in the Guidelines issued by the Office of the Cabinet
- Proficient use of the Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong coaching skills
- Sound analytical thinking
- Strong change management skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Human Resource Management, Public Management or equivalent professional qualification;
- Four (4) years’ experience in a Human Resource Management or management capacity, with specialized training in employee performance management.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Participation in retreats/meetings outside of normal working hours may be required from time to time.