The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe National Education Trust (NET) is seeking to recruit qualified individuals to fill the position of Procurement Specialist.
The Ministry of Education, Youth & Information (MoEY&I) continues to be challenged with issues relating to the maladjusted behaviour of children in schools. These challenges have continued to disrupt the normal flow of learning and in most cases affect the general quality of education being provided for our children.
The USAID/MoEY&I Partnership for Improved Safety and Security in Schools Project is therefore intended to reduce anti-social and violent behaviour among youth, both in schools and out of school. Through this initiative, the necessary measures will be implemented to transform schools and their immediate surroundings into safe zones through a multi-layered, multi-sectorial approach, utilizing community, parents, public and private partnerships in an effort to ensure a quality education system and raise the bar to benefit all learners, both male and female.
- To reduce violence and critical incidence among youth by :
- Creating a security and safety network through the establishment of school/community uniform groups.
- Controlling access to the school campus by installing or repairing perimeter fencing.
- Controlling possession of weapons and other contraband in schools through the use of security monitoring equipment and increasing the number of security personnel assigned to schools.
- To reduce anti-social behaviour among youth through:
- The implementation of Security and Safety Guidelines.
- Continued promotion of uniformed groups and clubs that promote positive values and attitudes at both school and community levels.
- Full implementation of the behaviour modification systems that encompass schools, homes and communities.
- The incorporation of human trafficking, cyber-crime, bullying, scamming and sections of the Child Care and Protection Act in the Health and Family Life Education curriculum and training teachers to deliver these topics will be a key prevention strategy.
- Capacity building and training of the school, youth, community and parent leadership.
- Engagement of parents and community in the behavioural change process through a partnership with youth, community-based and faith-based organizations, agencies and departments with responsibility for youth.
- Providing co-curricular activities such as youth empowerment summer camps, sporting competitions, homework centres, enhancement of Youth Information Centres into youth empowerment centres that will assist in the engagement of youth and help them to develop better social and life skills.
- Conduct data gathering, analysis and monitoring activities that will continue to inform decision makers on the management of safety and security in schools and by extension crime and violence in the wider society, particularly among youth.
- Build capacity in the MoEY&I and its agencies, FBOs, CBOs and other MDAs to facilitate sustainability of the initiatives through the provision of equipment, adequate human resources and technical management for the project.
Essential Job Functions:
The Procurement Specialist will be reporting to the Project Manager and is primarily responsible for ensuring efficient, timely and transparent execution of the project procurement processes in line with the guidelines of USAID and GoJ.
- Prepare and update the procurement work plan in collaboration with the units and agencies of the MoEY&I.
- Liaise with the MoEY&I and donor agency on project procurement and maintain the guidelines governing the procurement process for the GoJ and USAID.
- Maintain coordination of project activities and be responsible for the following up with the Project Manager, units and agencies of the MoEY&I in the achievement of all procurement related targets.
- Prepare and review technical specifications, refine Terms of References (TORs) and prepare Request for Proposals (RFPs), bidding documents, contracts and evaluation reports for the project using standard USAID and GoJ documents, where appropriate.
- Prepare procurement proposals for submission to MoEY&I Procurement Committee, Sector Committee and NCC as required.
- Liaise with clients and suppliers on all issues relating to procurement of goods and services for the project.
- Prepare and execute purchase orders and requisitions.
- Prepare progress reports and overall procurement activity reports monthly for MoEY&I and USAID through the Project Manager and quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports through the Project Manager as is required.
- Execute all the responsibilities in compliance with procurement laws, regulations and procedures of the GoJ and USAID.
- Assist the project manager to ensure submission of timely progress reports to USAID, MoEY&I and other MDAs.
- Plan and coordinate project scheduling and administrative tasks and support project staff by facilitating project logistics such as meetings, conference rooms, conference calls, etc.
- Supervise the distribution of supplies, equipment and reading material procured by the project for distribution to assigned project schools ensuring that they are signed for and stamped with the school and project stamps.
- Conduct inventory for project institutions and local office utilization.
- Procure goods and services to facilitate implementation activities.
Qualification, skills and attributes
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related Social Sciences field.
- Specialised training in procurement
- Work Experience: At least three (3) years progressive professional work experience in procurement and/or project administration with procurement responsibilities.
- Knowledgeable of the GOJ and USAID policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to Mandate, Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning, Valuing Diversity.
- Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating Information and Ideas, Conflict
- and Self-management.
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing People/Performance Management.
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and Analytical thinking, Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence, Appropriate and Transparent Decision-making.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment
- Client orientation.
We thank all applicants for expressing an interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.