The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryChristian Aid and Norwegian Church Aid need one Program Officer to join our team to support our partners in the development and implementation of their works on fighting inequality and vulnerability of people in Haiti and Dominican Republic
Christian Aid and Norwegian Church Aid are looking for a Programme Officer that could support partners that are working on binational issues between Haiti and the Dominican Republic or related actions. The Programme Officer will work with at least 4 partners and could have to manage back donor funding, particularly EU rules and procedures. Reporting to the Christian Aid Country Manager for Haiti and DR and matrixes managed by Norwegian Church Aid Country Manager, you will be key in ensuring that the partner organizations have the appropriate support in order to be able to scale up and implement their much needed projects and create the right synergy to promote better dialogue, exchanges and joint projects between Haitian and Dominicans at different level.
This is a great opportunity to join a great Alliance; as Christian Aid and Norwegian Church Aid are two members of the ACT Alliance. You will need to have programme management experience; to be committed to working in partnership and to have a good grasp of monitoring and evaluation. It is also important that you have had experience in relation between Haiti and Dominican Republic on right based approached and human right. In order to work with the partner organizations and with the wider Christian Aid and Norwegian Church Aid, you will need to have a good working knowledge of Creole, French, Spanish and English.
More than half the world lives in poverty. We aim to put a stop to that. So we campaign against the structures and rules that keep people poor. And we work with local organizations to give people strength to find their own solutions to the problems they face, irrespective of their religion. If you’re as determined as we are to end poverty and injustice across the world, work with us to make change happen.
To be responsible for supporting and managing Christian Aid and NCA partnerships and programmes as well as the effective disbursement of funds to Christian Aid and NCA partners working on the programme including recommending grants to partners. This includes field monitoring visits, bilateral meetings, review and feedback on reporting, regular contact with partners, and preparing annual reports. To contribute to the development of Christian Aid and NCA policy and strategy. To contribute to the representation of Christian Aid and NCA on binational issues between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. To engage with and promote communications and fundraising, including institutional donors.
The role works within the Christian Aid International Programmes role family and the wider Programme Funding remit and the Norwegian Church Aid Program. The role is key in providing support to Christian Aid and NCA partnerships and programmes to ensure they are managed effectively and funds are allocated. It will help us have a better mapping on who is doing what on the border. There will be some travel within country required and between Haiti and DR as well. This role needs to understand and be sensitive to the relation between Haiti and DR and could create better link and better synergy between CSOs from both part of the island. This role will help partners from both side of the border to engage with the Commission mixt binational.
- Strong portfolio of partners able to respond and support Christian Aid’s and NCA advocacy, fundraising and communications agenda. Projects delivered on time and to budget.
- Compliance with financial policies and procedures including reporting requirements and contribution made to other team members in the development and implementation of partner capacity building and training.
- Grant proposals based on strong planning, monitoring and evaluation procedures and tools using by each organisation Christian Aid’s internal systems and NCA as well.
- Positive relationships developed with partners through effective communication
- Decisions on programme work in the country informed by Christian Aid and NCA’s strategic focus areas
- Strong linkages between partner work and advocacy, communications and fundraising roles within the UK and Norway. This role may include direct fund raising depending on location.
- Person specifications on applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Graduate in a relevant discipline or equivalent.
- Good knowledge of official donors such as European Union, DFID, etc
- Understanding of financial controls and procedures
- Understanding of issues of governance, power and rights
- Familiarity with programme cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Significant experience in international development
- Direct experience of programme appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and of developing partners’ capacity
- Incorporation of gender and HIV methodologies into partners’ work
- Emergency relief, preparedness and humanitarian aid and their link to development work
- Understanding of advocacy, campaigning and lobbying
- Experience of facilitation, training and network building
- Project negotiation, appraisal and evaluation
- Fluent in English, Spanish, French and Creole
- Post graduate qualification in a relevant field Monitoring & Evaluation qualification.
- Understanding of conflict transformation work
- Understanding of partnership approach to international development
- Understanding of gender and exclusion
- Training and workshop facilitation
- Network and alliance building