The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe National Education Trust (NET) is seeking to recruit qualified individuals to fill the position of Project Manager.
The Ministry of Education, Youth & Information (MoEY&I) continues to be challenged with issues relating to the maladjusted behaviour of children in schools. These challenges have continued to disrupt the normal flow of learning and in most cases affect the general quality of education being provided for our children.
The USAID/MoEY&I Partnership for Improved Safety and Security in Schools Project is therefore intended to reduce anti-social and violent behaviour among youth, both in schools and out of school. Through this initiative, the necessary measures will be implemented to transform schools and their immediate surroundings into safe zones through a multi-layered, multi-sectorial approach, utilizing community, parents, public and private partnerships in an effort to ensure a quality education system and raise the bar to benefit all learners, both male and female.
- To reduce violence and critical incidence among youth by :
- Creating a security and safety network through the establishment of school/community uniform groups.
- Controlling access to the school campus by installing or repairing perimeter fencing.
- Controlling possession of weapons and other contraband in schools through the use of security monitoring equipment and increasing the number of security personnel assigned to schools.
- To reduce anti-social behaviour among youth through:
- The implementation of Security and Safety Guidelines.
- Continued promotion of uniformed groups and clubs that promote positive values and attitudes at both school and community levels.
- Full implementation of the behaviour modification systems that encompass schools, homes and communities.
- The incorporation of human trafficking, cyber-crime, bullying, scamming and sections of the Child Care and Protection Act in the Health and Family Life Education curriculum and training teachers to deliver these topics will be a key prevention strategy.
- Capacity building and training of the school, youth, community and parent leadership.
- Engagement of parents and community in the behavioural change process through a partnership with youth, community-based and faith-based organizations, agencies and departments with responsibility for youth.
- Providing co-curricular activities such as youth empowerment summer camps, sporting competitions, homework centres, enhancement of Youth Information Centres into youth empowerment centres that will assist in the engagement of youth and help them to develop better social and life skills.
- Conduct data gathering, analysis and monitoring activities that will continue to inform decision makers on the management of safety and security in schools and by extension crime and violence in the wider society, particularly among youth.
- Build capacity in the MoEY&I and its agencies, FBOs, CBOs and other MDAs to facilitate sustainability of the initiatives through the provision of equipment, adequate human resources and technical management for the project.
Essential Job Functions:
- The Project Manager will direct, manage and coordinate on-site tasks that are detailed in the contract with USAID/MoEY&I.
- The Project Manager will manage the team as well as the programme activities to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Liaise with the MDAs, faith-based organizations, corporate sector and NGOs on matters pertinent to the successful implementation of the project.
- Coordinate the activities with the various units within the MoEY&I.
- Report to the Project Steering Committee on the work of the project.
- S/he will delegate administrative and technical assistance duties as appropriate, but will ultimately be responsible for final outcomes and deliverables.
- Approve staff work plans and conduct their performance appraisals.
- The Project Manager will take technical directions from the Chief Education Officer or his/her designate and relate to the Deputy Chief Education Officers and Heads of Agencies and Units in the execution of the annual year plan.
- S/he will be available to respond to requests for information or provide reports as necessary.
- The Project Manager will coordinate with USAID and the Managing Director of NET for necessary clearances/approvals/ information /participation and provide regular updates on the programme.
- The Project Manager will liaise with the Government of Jamaica, Ministry of Education officials, donors, corporate sector and NGOs on matters pertinent to the successful implementation of the project.
- Within the scope of the contract, the Project Manager has responsibility for the consistent review of the project work plan, equipment management, project communications, capacity building and coordination and control functions.
- S/he will ensure that sufficient funds are kept in the account for monthly expenditures and will verify that the month-end balances are correct.
- The Project Manager is responsible for the planning, resource allocation, equipment management, project communications, capacity building, coordination and control functions.
- Liaise with NET Director of Corporate Services regarding staff related issues.
- Liaise with NET PR and Marketing Manager on PR and Marketing Issues
The Project Manager will ensure that USAID and MoEY&I reporting requirements are met in a timely manner thereby assisting in the preparation of and/or be responsible for the following reports to USAID and the MoEY&I:
- Annual Work Plans and budgets
- Monthly reports to the Managing Director of NET, Chief Education Officer and Director, Project Management in the MoEY&I
- Quarterly Technical and Administrative reports
- Annual and Semi-Annual reports
- Close-Out Plan including inventories
- Final Report
- Attend and present project reports at MoEY&I and MoF&PS Monthly Projects Review Meetings
Qualifications, skills and attributes:
- Education: Master’s degree in Social Sciences or related field
- Training in Project Management, preferably PMP Certified
- Work Experience: At least 5 years progressive work experience in Project Management.
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Knowledgeable of the results-based management framework
- Knowledgeable of the GOJ and USAID policies and procedures
- Excellent use of Project Management and Microsoft Office computer applications
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning, Valuing Diversity.
- Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management.
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing People/Performance Management.
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence, Appropriate and Transparent decision making.
- Knowledgeable of the GoJ and USAID administrative procedures
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment
- Excellent customer service skills
We thank all applicants for expressing an interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.