The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Public Health Inspector 3 (HPC/EH 3) - Spalding, Clarendon
Job SummaryThe Southern Regional Health Authority (SRHA) invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Public Health Inspector 3 (HPC/EH 3) based in Spalding, Clarendon.
Supervise the activities of Public Health Inspectors engaged in the promotion and maintenance of standards of sanitation and Public Health and the control of communicable diseases in health districts.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree/Diploma in Environmental/Public Health
- Diploma in Meat & Other Foods
- Certificate in Supervisory Management
- Five (5) years experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Registration with the Council for Professions Supplementary to Medicine
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the planning of Public Health programmes for districts; implements and review programmes.
- Visit health districts with grades 1 and 2 officers to assess the effectiveness of measures; investigate complaints and initiate remedial action; give advice and guidance to Public Health Inspectors regarding technical problems, interpretation of and compliance with the Regulations.
- Implement Public Law and Regulations and serve notices and institute prosecution to enforce the Public Law.
- Monitor the inspection of hotels, villas, restaurant, bars, hairdressers and barber shops and make recommendation for licencing.
- Assess sub-divisions and buildings for conformity with plans in relation to drainage and make the necessary recommendations.
- Supervise Inspectors engaged in the inspection of meats and other foods.
- Check records of Junior Inspectors; assess and report on their performance, compile and submit monthly reports.
- Report promptly to health and other authorities outbreaks of illnesses or epidemics in the health districts.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of mass immunization programmes.
- Supervise Food Handlers Clinics and lecture community groups and give advice regarding Public Health to individuals; organises health community meetings and liaise with other Community Health Staff in the delivery of primary health care in health districts.
- Participate in the preparation of budgets for health districts.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health.
- Knowledge of Government health policies and programmes particularly in the delivery of primary health care.
- Knowledge of public health laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of public health law and other regulations relating to public health and ability to interpret and apply them to health sanitation.
- Knowledge of new trends and developments in public health.
- Knowledge of the Jamaican society, culture and communities.
- Ability to supervise and control.
- Ability to set professional standards, motivate staff, maintain satisfactory relationships with staff, the community, and other health workers.
- Ability to recognize hazardous sanitation practises and implement remedial action.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
NB: We thank all applicants for responding; however, only short listed applicants will be contacted.