The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe University of the West Indies (UWI) invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Publications Officer, The School of Education.
The School of Education is seeking an extremely organized and detail-oriented Publications Officer to join its journal production team. The Publications Officer performs a variety of writing and/or editorial duties: plans, designs, writes text, edits and/or produces scholarly materials such as professional journals for department/school/University publications. The Publications Officer performs project management functions, managing to a prescribed budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- organising and managing the submission, assessment, review and editorial processes for a journal, book or conference paper.
- overseeing and ensuring standards of selection, review and editing that are relevant to the scholarly area, as approved by the editorial committee.
- taking prompt action to identify, and prevent and correct publication of works where research misconduct has occurred, such as plagiarism, citation manipulation and falsification of data or results.
- approving the final version of the journal, book or conference paper for publication.
- participating in reviews and promotional activities related to the journal, book or conference including, but not limited to, social media promotion.
- developing and managing a LISTSERV to keep in contact with key stakeholders such as reviewers, potential authors, librarians, institutions, etc.
- analysing publication performance, data and feed back and liaising with editorial committees and Mona Information Technology Services (MITS) to improve systems and content delivery, and increase the readership and impact of publications.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree and at least two years of experience with the production process.
The Publication Officer should also possess the following attributes:
- Copy editing skills
- Time management to meet multiple deadlines
- Strong working knowledge of printing, publishing and/or graphic arts procedures and related computer software and electronic communications tools.
- Proven command of editorial, grammatical, writing skills and techniques.
- Experience managing a budget and with multiple deadlines required.
- Ability to work across teams and with a variety of projects, vendors and constituencies.
- Advanced knowledge of desktop publishing and/or graphics software packages.
- Superior organizational skills and the proven ability to track many concurrent projects.
The University thanks all applicants, but due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.