The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe National Education Trust (NET) is seeking to recruit qualified individuals to fill the position of Quantity Surveyor.
To estimate and manage all costs relating to building and upgrading of educational buildings and infrastructure within the portfolio of the NET, from the initial calculations, to the provision of the final figures as part of the construction team. The Quantity Surveyor will work closely with Contractors and Project Managers on site, ensuring that works are carried out in a manner that minimizes project cost and enhances value for money, while maintaining the required standards and quality. The position will also provide technical consultancy services in the execution of fee-based projects undertaken by the NET.
- Project Budgets and Cost Plans
- Bills of Quantities for construction projects
- Pre-Tender Estimates
- Technical inputs into Bidding Documents
- Technical Evaluation Reports on Bids
- Assessments of contractor claims for construction/refurbishment
- Database of prices for construction items
- Relevant technical advice
- Project Reports
Key Responsibility Areas:
Technical / Professional Responsibilities
- Liaise with the Project Management & Construction Team members during the design phase to develop reliable and accurate cost estimates.
- Utilize construction drawings in order to produce quantities and costs for the construction elements.
- Prepare Bills of Quantities for construction projects.
- Establish costing to inform management decisions and planning.
- Liaise with the Procurement Manager and Project Management & Construction Team members in the development of the appropriate tender documents.
- Conduct negotiations, reviews and advises accordingly.
- Conduct analysis and provide advice in relation to cases of dispute resolution.
- Prepare valuation of measured works; track variations to contracts that may affect cost and create reports that show financial impact.
- Participate in the procurement process and prepare the technical aspect of the tender evaluation report for the selection of contractors.
- Evaluate and review contractors’ claims in relation to projects.
- Develop and maintain a cost database system.
- Provide technical leadership for assigned projects.
- Provide technical inputs for preparation of documentation from the NET.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the construction industry.
- Maintain effective working relationships with clients and other stakeholders, including relevant government agencies.
- Contribute to the development/review of operating policies and procedures, including technical guidelines for the Division.
Provide advice on matters of a contractual nature in response to audit queries.
- Undertake other related assignments as directed.
- Construction estimates and Bills of Quantities are accurate, cost effective, and timely.
- Review invoices, variations and final accounts that are within the agreed timelines to ensure timely payments to contractors and suppliers.
- Site visits are in accordance with required schedules to verify and determine accuracy of contractor claims.
- Key deliverables are produced within agreed timeframes and at required standards.
- Problems/issues with construction/refurbishing/upgrading are proactively recognized and corrective action taken.
- Projects are efficiently managed throughout the project life cycle up to completion.
- Professionalism and integrity are consistently demonstrated in keeping with the established standards of the NET.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Good problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent time management and organizing skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact with persons at all levels including clients, architects, engineering professionals and sub-contractors, including construction site workers.
- Excellent knowledge of Quantity Surveying methodology.
- Knowledge of the GOJ procurement guidelines.
- Knowledge of the National Contracts Commission (NCC) requirements for construction/refurbishment.
- Proficiency in project planning and analysis.
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures and Acts governing the operations of NET would be an asset.
- · Proficiency in construction/project management, computer software and other office applications, e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree (BSc) in Quantity Surveying or equivalent from an accredited educational institution.
- A minimum of two (2) years post qualification experience.
- Training in project management.
Specific Conditions associated with the job
- Required to visit construction sites which can be dusty and hazardous.
- Required to work beyond normal working hours at times to meet deadlines.
- Required to be the holder of a valid Drivers’ Licence and a reliable motor vehicle.
We thank all applicants for expressing an interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.