The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Officer (GMG/SEG 2)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from qualified persons for the position of Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Officer (GMG/SEG 2), Western Regional Health Authority.
The Western Regional Health Authority (a Statutory Body under the Ministry of Health) is currently seeking to employ a Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Officer. The successful candidate will be expected to advise the Regional Technical Director, Regional Medical Epidemiologist, technical team and parish staff on the occurrence of significant epidemiological events.
The incumbent’s core responsibilities will also include:
- Assisting with the development of surveillance programmes, identifying high risk areas and recommending corrective action.
- Collecting and analyzing data to establish trends, develop health policies and programmes.
- Conducting epidemiological investigations under the supervision of the Regional Technical Epidemiologist and Regional Technical Director.
- Conducting research on selected health issues and facilitating multi-disciplinary requests for related data by the projects and research team.
- Providing guidance to new surveillance sites in reporting and specimen collections, ensuring compliance with established norms and procedures.
- Undertaking active and passive surveillance in designated sites and private practices.
- Representing the Region at meetings held at the Epidemiology Unit (Ministry of Health) and report on data findings and trends.
- Participating in quarterly programme reviews.
- Participating in the orientation programme of new technical staff.
- Participating in the preparation of Annual Regional Budget.
Qualification & Experience:
- Masters in Public Health
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health Nursing or its equivalent from an accredited institution
- Certification in Epidemiology would be an asset
- At least five (5) years post graduate experience in Public Health/disease surveillance
Specific Knowledge/Skills Required:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of epidemiological methods and public health policies
- Ability to collect, collate and analyze data
- Knowledge of National Health Policies
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
NB: Only Shortlisted applicants will be contacted.