The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Regional Rural Planner (SOG/ST 8)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Regional Rural Planner (SOG/ST 8) in the Agricultural Land Management Division, Kingston, Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Agricultural Land Management Division, the Regional Rural Planner (SOG/ST 8) co-ordinates manages and provides professional, technical advice and guidance on agricultural land use planning, land management and land resource protection in the specified region. The incumbent is also responsible to write complex reports on investigations and analyses.
Management and Administrative:
- Examines proposals from internal and external clients and co-ordinates responses or action to be taken;
- Manages adherence to laws, regulations, permits and agreements governing all areas of work
- Plans, schedules and leads field visits and manages investigations;
- Supervises a team of multi-disciplinary officers engaged in sustainable agricultural land management activities for the specified region and co-ordinates the work of the Region;
- Participates in the development of Budgets, Corporate, Operational and Work Plans;
- Implements strategies for conflict resolution and good time management
- Investigates enquiries related to land use change;
- Prepares reports.
- Exercises responsibility for the collection, processing and interpretation of land use data;
- Develops request services based on demand surveys, reviews current trends and developments in agricultural land management and conceptualizes new projects and programmes as required;
- Analyzes recommendations on the proposed uses of agricultural land, for adherence and compliance with Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries’ goals and objectives;
- Recommends mitigation measures;
- Approves application and or proposes conditions for permit;
- Conducts research on agricultural land use trends and land use management issues;
- Undertakes related research and co-ordinates technical planning programmes for the soils and land resource assessment programmes in the Region;
- Establishes guidelines for GIS data quality and standards and ensures their alignment to international quality guidelines;
- Collaborates with tertiary institutions and Government agencies to develop and deliver training programmes and presentations;
- Conducts overlay analyses, develops research proposals and formulates technical documents and reports as required;
- Collaborates with the Local and National Planning Agencies to establish more effective guidelines for the improvement in processing development projects;
- Collaborates with other local planning organizations in the planning of rural development projects in the Region;
- Identifies and develops new business strategies to advance the mandate of the Division;
- Participates in the development and delivery of in-house training programmes;
- Writes feasibility studies, land evaluation assessments, crop suitability and other agricultural land management reports;
- Attends meetings, conferences and seminars and provides professional staff support to agricultural and planning committees and formulates related proposals and technical reports;
- Defines areas of responsibility, authority and lines of communication and establishes performance standards to improve operations and increase productivity;
- Assigns work, determines priorities and advises on methodology and work procedures;
- Liaises and maintains interaction with stakeholders including NEPA, Local Planning Authority, RADA, NLA etc.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of directs reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division/Unit and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Division/Unit are clearly identified and addressed;
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and organization’s goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good people management skills
- Good conflict management and problem solving skills
- Good knowledge of Government’s policies and procedures
- Knowledge of budgeting and operational plans
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of agricultural resource protection and agricultural land use planning
- Good knowledge of land use development review techniques and the development approval process, agricultural land resource management, development planning models and the social factors impacting on agricultural lands
- Good knowledge of the policies, laws and other regulations governing land use in Jamaica
- Working knowledge of modern and developing planning techniques such as GIS and satellite remote sensing
- Some knowledge of soils, soil fertility and crop selection
- Good technical writing skills
- Ability to develop and deliver training programmes
- Knowledge of the relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- A Master of Science Degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, Environmental Science or a related discipline;
- Three (3) years related experience;
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture, Rural Development, Environmental Science or a related discipline;
- Five (5) years related experience.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Extensive travelling island wide;
- Exposure to insects and natural hazards on field trips.
Salary range $2,101,170 - $2,497,631 per annum.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.