The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Research Assistant Professor
Job SummaryThe research faculty member manages the Horticulture & Aquaculture Program, takes leadership in conducting field experiments, supervises program and staff, develops research technologies, and conducts research on vegetable crops and hydroponic
The research faculty member manages the Horticulture & Aquaculture Program, takes leadership in conducting field experiments, supervises program and staff, develops research technologies, and conducts research on vegetable crops and hydroponic or aquaculture practices appropriate for small-scale farms in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The research faculty member also performs statistical analysis of data obtained from various research projects, publishes results in peer-reviewed journals, assumes responsibility for presenting results of research studies at scientific meetings, writes research proposals to obtain extramural funding and perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of vegetable crops, micro-irrigation, soil science, plant nutrition, pathology and entomology, field plot techniques, experimental design, data analysis and computer programs is essential.
- Knowledge of general hydroponics, aquaculture, aquaponic systems, water quality, and wastewater treatment is desirable Essential skills include experimental design and data analysis, laboratory techniques, data collection, grant writing, budget management, professional leadership, mentoring of students.
- Research experience should include cropping systems, micro-irrigation, cultivar evaluation, integrated pest management, hydroponics and/or aquaculture.
- Write peer reviewed articles for publication in scientific journals and grants to obtain extramural funds and to make presentations at regional, national and international conferences.
- Work as part of a team, supervise staff and students, and serve cross-cultural public constituencies.
While performing duties of job, employee will be required to work indoors in the lab and outdoors in hot weather. There will be some physical effort required for collecting samples and field preparation Work environment: The noise level in the work environment will probably be moderate. The work environment is a mix of outdoors and indoors.