The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Research Officer (SOG/ST 6)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Research Officer (SOG/ST 6) – Strategic Policy, Planning and Reform Division – (Not Vacant) in the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development.
Reporting to the Policy Analyst, the incumbent is responsible for informing and supporting Policy Development, Corporate Planning, Performance Management, Monitoring and Evaluation processes of the Ministry and its portfolio entities by providing relevant research and maintaining robust databases.
- Prepares an Annual Research Work Plan in keeping with the main policy priorities, objectives and goals of the Ministry;
- Conducts research assignments in collaboration with Departments/Divisions of the of the Ministry and portfolio entities, as well as external bodies as necessary;
- Organizes and participates in the collection of data and information relevant to Ministry’s portfolio subjects;
- Researches and identifies data and relevant information that best meets the needs of key stakeholders;
- Uses appropriate research methodology to collect and analyze data and qualitative information on the subjects within the Ministry’s portfolio;
- Designs and implements data collection schedules including the frequency of data collection to provide timely, relevant information for planning and decision making;
- Compiles, analyzes and interprets research findings and prepares reports with stated conclusions to facilitate planning and decision-making;
- Prepares timely reports on research undertaken, critiques studies undertaken by other researchers and prepares comments and recommendations on selected material for the guidance of the Policy Analyst;
- Identifies data and information needs and makes contact with the appropriate sources to enable collection;
- Determines the frequency of data collection;
- Reviews official publications, periodicals and magazines to determine whether current research is being undertaken in subjects relevant to the Ministry;
- Prepares special papers required for presentation at local seminars and conferences;
- Attends relevant internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and seminars on subjects/issues relevant to the Ministry and presents papers and reports when required;
- Assists with the evaluation of the activities of the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development;
- Develops and maintains reference databases for use by target groups within the Ministry
- Circulates main research findings to relevant Ministry officials to inform the policy development and project design processes and the implementation of programmes;
- Undertakes specific research projects assigned by the Policy Analyst ensuring compliance with scientific standards;
- Conducts data collection activities relevant to research projects and assignments and develops a clearly defined terms of reference for data collection and analysis;
- Responds to internal and external requests for information related to Ministry’s research initiatives and social sector policies;
- Keeps abreast of current Local and International research findings;
- Develops and maintains relevant electronic databases in collaboration with the Management Information Systems Unit;
- Liaises and builds links with research organizations involved in similar activities at the National, Regional and International levels;
- Performs any other related duties and responsibilities that may be determined by the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development, from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent use of initiative
- Ability to work as a part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent knowledge of the organization’s policies and procedures
- Ability to utilize statistical tools (software) to process data
- Excellent working knowledge of Government policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation processes
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Sociology, Economics, Statistics, Research or a closely related field;
- At least three (3) years related experience at a technical/professional level;
- Understanding and practical experience of policy development skills including International Conventions, Legislative and Regulatory Development, research and evidence based policy formulation.
Salary range $1,361,593 – $1,618,506 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.