The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Associate / Scientist - Deputy Chief of Party
Job SummaryAbt Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the multi-sectoral SHOPS Plus Haiti Program.
The Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Plus (SHOPS Plus) project is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in family planning and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health and other health areas.
In Haiti, SHOPS Plus is implementing a social marketing program to increase use of priority health products and services and support USAID health objectives. The program is implementing social and behavior change (SBC) campaigns for family planning (FP), child health (CH), and home water treatment (HWT) to address demand-side barriers to product and service uptake and is implementing product introduction and distribution strategies for increasing availability of products through private sector outlets nationwide.
SHOPS Plus Haiti is entering its third year of an expected five year field funded program and is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to support the Chief of Party (COP) in managing the project and ensuring program results are achieved. The DCOP will support the COP in overseeing all aspects of project implementation including work plan development and execution, subaward monitoring, financial and budget management, administration and reporting, logistics and procurement. The DCOP will ensure the efficient use of resources to achieve quality results.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Managerial and technical:
- Assist the COP with the management and supervision of the SHOPS Plus Haiti team with a focus on effective teamwork and collaboration to achieve work plan outputs and targets.
- Together with COP, provide management and oversight of local and international partners, subcontractors, and consultants, including subaward monitoring, tracking, and reporting.
- Together with the COP, ensures technical quality of the program
- In close coordination with the COP, facilitate technical collaboration with USAID/Haiti, Ministry of Health, implementing partners and other donors and stakeholders in-country
- Track progress of project results and ensure proper documentation of workplan status to home office and USAID/Haiti
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of reports and other deliverables
- Support technical communications with USAID/Haiti regarding work plans, activity updates, reporting, budgeting, and deliverables
- Assist the COP with management and budgetary oversight to ensure all activities are completed within the agreed upon timeframe and budget
- Ensure all processes and procedures for project implementation are compliant with USAID requirements and Abt policies
- Ensure proper documentation of all project expenditures, financial reports, and backup documentation to be submitted to the home office for audit and reimbursement
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Strong management skills, with demonstrated experience managing teams to achieve project results within budget and on schedule;
- Demonstrated ability to foster and leverage relationships with a variety of different private sector and government stakeholders and a proven ability to navigate in a complex and dynamic context;
- Excellent management, leadership, decision making and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in family planning and/or maternal child health;
- Skilled in analysis and problem solving with excellent project management skills;
- Prior experience with USAID, including strong understanding of USAID rules and regulations; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French and English.
- Demonstrated experience strengthening institutional, local technical, management and leadership capacity;
- Prior experience in marketing and/or social marketing;
- Private sector experience and proven ability to liaise with public and private institutions; and
- Relevant experience in Haiti.
- MA/MBA with 13-15 years OR PhD with 8-10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.