The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Corporate Communications Officer
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of Trinidad and Tobago for the post of Senior Corporate Communications Officer, on contract, for a period of three (3) years, in the Ministry of Health.
The incumbent is required to play a key role in the implementation of the Ministry’s/Department’s corporate communications strategy and programmes. Duties include assisting in the development, implementation and evaluation of these strategies and programmes; taking the lead on corporate media campaigns , public relations and other communications activities to generate consistent publicity results with clear targets and priorities and supervising lower-level staff engaged in related work. Depending on work assignment, the incumbent will be required to perform duties in one or more of the Communications functional areas.
- Manager - Corporate Communications
Supervision Given to:
- Corporate Communications Officer and support staff
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Measurement
- Takes the lead in strategy and programme development for diverse and highly complex communications campaigns, both internal and external, of special significance to the Ministry’s/Department’s work, anticipating critical communications/public relations issues; contributes to the formulation of public positions on critical issues related to the work of Ministry/Department.
- Develops the Ministry's/Department’s communication policy and strategy in collaboration with the Ministry’s/Department’s executive team and other relevant senior management members and executes same.
- Coordinates the budgeting, planning, direction, coordination, implementation and evaluation of major events and programmes in the Ministry/Department and ensures successful execution.
- Liaises and interacts with personnel of the Ministry/Department to ensure that communications policy considerations are adequately integrated into the Ministry's/Department’s operations.
- Identifies stakeholders’ needs and reviews relevant engagement strategies as submitted by staff supervised.
- Directs the research, information gathering, editing and writing of communications briefs, proposals, and other documents.
- Collaborates with others to develop internal and external communications goals for the purpose of identifying audiences for marketing efforts and ensuring Ministry/Department-wide objectives are achieved in the most efficient and timely manner.
Product and Events
- Promotes a positive image of the Ministry/Department (e.g. communications with district staff, the public and media, including press conferences, newsworthy events, story ideas, district benefits and programs, etc.) for the purpose of creating cooperative working relationships.
- Prepares an annual and quarterly programme of public relation activities including but not limited to, lectures, talks, conferences, exhibitions.
- Promotes the development of information and activities such as health and wellness, safety awareness and other cultural and workplace enhancing projects.
- Negotiates for space contracts and books event spaces, arranges food and beverages, orders supplies and audiovisual equipment, makes travel arrangements, orders event signs and ensures appropriate décor (florals, linens, color schemes, etc.) to meet the quality expectations of the Ministry/Department.
- Supervises, directs and coordinates the activities of personnel, subcontractors and vendors, as required, to successfully execute all aspects of the event on the scheduled delivery day.
- Provides post-event analysis, budget recaps and participant feedback and incorporates learning into future plans.
- Researches trends (e.g. policies/procedures; economic/cultural issues; computer/software and facilities technologies; layout/design of publications, etc.) for the purpose of obtaining knowledge on current issues and advancement practices.
Media and Advertising
- Provides advice to relevant stakeholders on media-related issues, including but not limited to preparing talking points and media coaching.
- Identifies media engagement opportunities and provides media coaching to staff that may interact with the press.
- Leads a team that prepares briefs, media releases, advertisements, presentations and drafts or reviews speeches to be delivered by the Minister and other senior personnel of the Ministry/Department.
- Leads and coordinates the production of all print and audio-visual communications materials, including, but not limited to newsletters, press releases, advertising and speeches.
- Designs sketches of electronic and printed media products such as websites, publications, newsletters, booklets, directories, calendars, brochures, posters, and presentations for the purpose of communicating and promoting a positive Ministry/Department image.
- Writes and/or oversees the preparation, production and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products such as, brochures, briefs, press kits, news releases, op-eds/articles, radio/TV broadcasts, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, Q&As, websites and speeches that promote the strategic and timely flow of information and key messages about the Ministry/Department, its policies and operations to key internal and external audiences.
- Analyses current events, public comments and press opinions with a view to risk management; advises the Ministry’s/Department’s executive team and staff and clients on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances and recommends appropriate strategic responses.
- Participates in, plans, coordinates and organises public consultations, conferences, media monitoring, media tours and events, public opinion research activities, public image enhancement programmes, seminars, workshops and similar special events.
- Supervises and provides advice and guidance to staff engaged in the performance of protocol duties for the Ministry/Department in accordance with established standards to ensure appropriate etiquette is used in interactions with individuals such as dignitaries and officials.
- Liaises and interacts with personnel of the Ministry/Department to ensure that communications policy considerations are adequately integrated into its operations.
- Responds to inquiries from internal and external parties for the purpose of providing information and/or direction.
- Initiates and sustains professional relationships with key internal and/or external constituencies including the media, civil society, academia, businesses and governments.
- Directs the updating of a database/directory of stakeholders’ contact information, profiles and services.
- Communicates with stakeholders for the purpose of informing and/or presenting information through various mediums such as manual and electronic presentations, printed publications, e-mails, web pages, video, blogs and TV spots in compliance with the Ministry’s/Department’s vision, goals, and objectives.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of current theories and practices in communications research, planning and strategy and the role of mass media;
- Considerable knowledge of media issues, social marketing theory and practice, communications strategies and implementation and behavioural sciences.
- Considerable knowledge of marketing, public relations, advertising, promotion and other communications methods.
- Considerable knowledge of modern techniques of news gathering and events management.
- Considerable knowledge of new web and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Knowledge of protocol procedures.
- Knowledge of the Constitution of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of the organisational structure of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of Public Administration.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, of advanced web design and communications technologies such as web applications, advanced web design, design/illustration software and/or databases.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in conducting research and in conceptual and analytical thinking.
- Skill in writing and editing, including a strong command of English.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to convey complex ideas in an engaging manner with clarity, diplomacy and precision.
- Ability to identify communications-related risks and opportunities and to provide timely feedback and advice to management.
- Ability to think strategically and to analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to plan and organize, including managing the organization of high level meetings and events.
- Ability to plan and organize programmes/projects, high-level meetings and events, and supervise vendors and lower-level staff.
- Ability to work effectively under stress, to prioritize, multi- task within tight deadlines and respond to changing demands.
- Ability to work independently or in a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal / external partners.
Minimum Experience and Training
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in the field of Corporate Communications or Public Relations or Media Relations and Advertising.
- Training as evidenced by a recognised University Degree in Communications Studies or a post graduate Diploma in a related field.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however unsuitable/late applications will not be acknowledged.