The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Database Specialist
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to perform specialized database design, development, implementation, maintenance and support duties for the information systems of a large Ministry/Department.
Duties include: ensuring the security, confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Ministry/Department’s databases; providing advice on database technology and products; managing database design and development activities; developing, administering, maintaining and supporting database solutions; and supervision of professional, technical and support staff.
- Designs, develops, tests, corrects and documents database management systems as part of the overall application development and maintenance process in accordance with agreed standards and specifications.
- Designs and applies physical, procedural and technical controls to the databases of the Ministry/Department to ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability; and investigates and remedies related security incidents.
- Trains relevant staff to ensure their comprehension of and compliance with government’s policies and procedures, and established best practices, around the use of information; and identifies the risks involved in the use of information.
- Manages the accessibility, retrievability and security of defined databases
- Contributes to the design of information systems to meet the business needs of the Ministry/Department, consistent with database standards and best practices, and within the constraints of cost, security and efficiency.
- Manages the on-going installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring and maintenance of the databases of the Ministry/Department, including developing and maintaining related procedures and documentation, and optimising database performance and availability.
- Facilitates the management of the database development and implementation projects, of the Ministry/Department including the identification and mitigation of project risk, ensuring quality in project delivery and managing resources.
- Prepares and delivers learning activities, such as training, to a variety of audiences in areas of technical specialisation and responsibility.
- Contributes to the planning and execution of system and acceptance testing of new or modified information systems, particularly for areas of technical specialisation.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of software releases, particularly for areas of technical specialisation by undertaking activities such as risk assessment and stakeholder coordination.
- Reviews database development and implementation processes in accordance with agreed quality standards.
- Provides inputs to the service continuity planning process and implements the resulting plans.
- Applies specialist knowledge of database architectures, design, techniques and software to the specification, design and maintenance of databases and repositories which support the information needs of the Ministry/Department.
- Keeps abreast of developments in database technology, tools and techniques and advises on their relevance and potential value to the Ministry/Department and their application.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge in database technology, and database development, administration and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within an organisation.
- Some knowledge of Public Service processes and procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise professional, technical and support staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to implement database solutions.
- Ability to manage ICT projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork and manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT, including at least two (2) years’ experience in the design, development, operation and maintenance of large database management systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognized Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or a related area.
- Relevant certification in database management such as the Certified Data Management Professional, Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional etc.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT including at least four (4) years in the design, development, operation and maintenance of large database management systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution.
- Certification in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT, in addition to at least five (5) years’ experience in the design, development operation and maintenance of large database management systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a two-year Diploma/Certificate in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.