The incumbent will manage the Human Resource, Training and Industrial Relations functions of the Agency by ensuring that best practices are implemented to achieve organizational efficiency and effectiveness in accordance with the Vision and Mission of Jamaica Customs and the Government’s Human Resource policies and regulations.
- Manages the development, implementation and maintenance of Human Resource (HR) policies and services to foster optimal staff involvement and to promote business success;
- Directs the recruitment and retention of high calibre staff that matches the requirements of the Organization;
- Manages delegated HR function and execute duties and responsibilities to ensure compliance with stipulations and established guidelines;
- Guides the provision of training and development for staff thereby ensuring that a skilled work force is provided;
- Supports the restructuring and reorganization of Units and Divisions in order that improvements in the operations can be realized;
- Oversees and monitors the Performance Management Process within Jamaica Customs;
- Promotes and enhances harmonious Industrial Relations climate in Jamaica Customs;
- Establishes and maintains a safe working environment through proactive and dedicated approach to Occupational Health and Safety.
Leads and manages the Human Resource Management and Development Division in the achievement of its objectives by:
- Planning, organizing and directing the work of the Division by overseeing the development of the Corporate/Operations Plans and Budget;
- Conducting periodic reviews of supervisees in accordance with Work Plans;
- Developing and managing the Performance of the Division and its staff, including: transferring skills, motivating staff, setting performance targets, monitoring performance, providing feedback to staff and arranging for training;
- Conducting final assessment of supervisees based on the performance assessment criteria and prepares Performance Report;
- Signing off on Performance Management Reports;
- Ensuring that the staff has sufficient and appropriate physical resources to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Maintaining effective working relations with external and internal stakeholders and clients, ensuring that the Division provides a consistently high level of service to them;
- Devising systems and customer surveys to assess the performance of the Division in keeping with Citizens’ Charter and taking corrective action as necessary.
- Plans annually, the Agency’s Philanthropic and Charitable projects, in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Senior Director, Finance and Administration;
- Manages the development and maintenance of the Human Resources Sections of the Internet, particularly recruiting, culture, company information and Intranet sites.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent Team Building and People Management skills
- Excellent Strategic Planning, Co-ordinating and Organizational skills
- Excellent Judgment, Analytical and Problem Solving skills
- Excellent Negotiating and Persuading skills
- Excellent Relationship Management and Human Relations skills
- Excellent Oral and Written Communications skills
- Strong Industrial Relations and Negotiation skills
- Strong Project Management skills
- Demonstrated leadership in the implementation of change management initiatives
- Sound knowledge of Governmental policies, procedures and practices on Human Resource Management and Development
- Sound knowledge of Governmental policies, practices and procedures on general Administration and Financial Management, including applicable Laws and regulations (e.g., Knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act, FIEA, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Customs Administration and Operations
- Working knowledge of relevant Industrial Instruments/Legislation and Public Sector Industrial issues
- Working knowledge of the relevant Computer systems and applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Masters Degree in Social Sciences or Human Resource Management or equivalent qualification;
- Specialized training in Industrial Relations, Compensation, Organizational Planning, Organization Development, Employee Relations, Safety, Training and Preventive Labour Relations preferred;
- Ten (10) years’ experience of working in Human Resource Management field, at least seven (7) years’ at the Senior Management Level.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Work will be conducted in an Office outfitted with standard Office equipment and specialized software. The environment is fast paced with on-going interactions with critical Stakeholders and meeting tight deadlines which will result in high degrees of pressure, on occasions;
- Fair degree of travelling required (50%) on a periodic basis to promote strong positive Industrial Relations climate and address employee interests;
- May be required to represent JCA at both Local and International fora periodically on Human Resource Management and development matters;
- May be exposed to dirt and dust and occasionally use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials to support Occupational Health, Safety and Environment responsibilities.
Salary range $4,815,251 - $5,778,300 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.