The incumbent is also responsible for giving technical guidance and ensuring that the relevant policies and best practices are implemented and upheld, to achieve organizational efficiencies and effectiveness in accordance with vision and mission of the organization.
- Interprets and guides the implementation of Human Resource (HR) policies and programmes in keeping with established Government guidelines; determines objectives and priorities within programmes and provides co-ordination and integration of HR policy and programme initiatives;
- Leads the development of the HR strategy, ensuring its alignment to the strategic objectives of the Department; ensures that HR policies and procedures are documented and effectively communicated to staff;
- Develops the annual HR Plan and Budget and ensures its alignment to the Strategic Objectives of the Department; ensures that all relevant stakeholders including senior and line managers are actively and sufficiently engaged in the development of the HR plan; reviews the plan periodically to determine its continued relevance and the success of its implementation with consultation from relevant stakeholders;
- Manages the budget for the HRM&D Branch in an efficient, effective and economical manner in accordance with relevant legislation and guidelines;
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with management to gain confidence and cooperation in the delivery of Human Resource services;
- Leads in the development of a performance based culture within the Department, promotes and facilitates the devolution of pertinent HR functions to line mangers;
- Oversees the design, development and implementation of an integrated programmes that seeks to address issues and trends identified in the workforce plan such as an aging workforce and the establishment of mentorship/coaching programmes to ensure the retention of institutional knowledge;
- Develops and oversees the implementation of an effective recruitment and selection programme aimed at selecting and retaining competent and productive employees in keeping with established government guidelines;
- Fosters harmonious relationships at the workplace, ensuring transparency and acceptable standards of performance;
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a competency framework for the Department that captures the core and technical competencies of each occupational group required for the achievement of the strategic objectives of the Department;
- Develops and maintains a Code of Conduct for the Department in line with the Staff Orders and Public Sector Regulations that captures the desired culture of the Department; ensures compliance to the Code of Conduct;
- Oversees the development and implementation of a Corporate training/development plan to meet the needs of the Department in achieving its goals and objectives;
- Develops, reviews and implements Strategic Plans/Programmes to promote a healthy industrial relations environment;
- Oversees the administration of the compensation, benefits and rewards programme ensuring consistency in administration to maintain equity across the Department;
- Oversees the development/review of employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale; leads the administration of the employees’ grievance procedures and assists with employee counseling as necessary;
- Manages the administration of a staff welfare programme ensuring effectiveness and equity;
- Oversees the administration of industrial relations strategy that fosters a culture of cooperation, fairness and mutual respect; participates in negotiations and establishes a mechanism that enables effective dialogue between the Department and the Trade Unions; collaborates with the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service for wage negotiations on behalf of employees;
- Develops strategic and operational plans for the Unit;
- Prepares and manages the Unit’s budget;
- Directs the recruitment and direction of staff in keeping with the changing needs of the organization;
- Conducts periodic reviews of the organization to promote efficiency in all areas of its operation.
- Leads and manage the Unit in achieving its stated objective;
- Oversees the administration of the discipline and grievance procedures, ensuring consistency, fairness and equity in the workplace;
- Coordinates the review-development of job descriptions to ensure currency of jobs in meeting the needs of the organization and makes recommendations for reclassifications were necessary;
- Establishes monitors, maintains and evaluates the operations of a Performance Management Appraisal System;
- Ensures the proper documentation, easy retrieval and access to information as stipulated by law.
- Provides advice and guidance to directors and Line Managers;
- Conducts interviews to recruit members of staff at all levels;
- Provides technical advice and interpretation of human resource policies;
- Develops the recruitment and retention strategies for staff;
- Ensure fair and partial disciplinary actions;
- Designs, directs and manage the issues related to organizational development;
- Conducts periodic cost and productivity analysis and initiates and/or makes recommendations for changes where necessary to achieve established goals;
- Develops and implements a succession policy and plan for the Department to ensure continuity of and to build key and critical competencies including executive leadership in collaboration with line managers and other members of the HRMD Division;
- Conducts needs assessment to evaluate and ensure the provision of the best training opportunities for staff development.
Human Resource/Management Responsibilities:
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and /or attaining established personal and /or organizational goals;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Unit and recommends transfers, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct report through effective planning delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and development needs of staff in the Unit are clearly identified and addressed;
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of team work, employee empowerment and commitment to the section’s and organization’s goals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Good understanding of the principles of policy development, analysis and evaluation;
- Sound knowledge of risk management principles;
- Thorough understanding of the principles of effective HRM;
- Sound knowledge of Education Regulations, Staff Orders, Public Service Regulations and other relevant government regulations;
- Practical knowledge of the applied use of information technology and productivity software, such as Microsoft Office;
- Integrity and confidentiality;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and conviction of purpose in unfavourable/unpopular situations;
- Strong customer orientation skills;
- The ability to prioritize amongst conflicting demands;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- The ability to motivate and influence others;
- Ability to think and act strategically across a range of functions;
- Sound oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to understand the impact of policy changes on human resource management;
- In-depth knowledge of laws specific to the operations of the organization.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Public Management or equivalent professional qualification, plus ten (10) years’ experience in Human Resource Management, at least five (5) years of which should be at a senior management level;
- Any other equivalent combination of qualification and experience.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Will be required to travel on official business;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence and a reliable motor vehicle.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.