The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Electrical Technician
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the post of Senior Electrical Technician at the SWRHA.
The Senior Electrical Technician provides specialist technical expertise in maintenance of electrical installations and equipment in health care institutions, and supervises lower level maintenance staff in technical activities.
The health institutions operate on a 24 hour basis, and accordingly this person may be required to work on shift or “on call” arrangements.
The job may involve considerable travelling and fieldwork throughout the region.
NB: This job is subject to exposure to electrical and mechanical hazards, vibration, dust, hazardous waste and other conditions as found in a hospital environment.
Key functions & Duties:
- Performs electrical emergency and preventive maintenance and repair duties necessary to maintain assigned facilities in the region.
- Performs advanced maintenance, repairs and adjustments to medium and low voltage electrical installations and equipment.
- Inspects electrical equipment at all SWRHA facilities to determine maintenance, repair, and replacement needs; report safety and fire hazards.
- Troubleshoots utility and standby power systems.
- Performs advanced scheduled maintenance on standby power systems.
- Assists Electrical Services Supervisor to coordinate work schedule for section staff.
- Consults with and obtain directions from the Electrical Engineer to plan and execute electrical jobs related to the requirements of the region.
- Assists Electrical Services Supervisor to develop and maintain a manual or computerised preventive maintenance system for the region.
- Utilises the manual or computerised job administration system to ensure that all operating, maintenance and repair costs are recorded against individual assets.
- Analyses manual or computerised cost and performance history records for the Authority’s property to assess electrical costs and performance profiles for all property and equipment.
- Advises Electrical Services Supervisor on maintenance of parts and material inventory stocking.
- Advises Electrical Services Supervisor on professional equipment necessary for ongoing maintenance.
- Consults with the Electrical Services Supervisor to develop written objectives with time frames for the section.
- Consults with the Electrical Services Supervisor to develop, control and report on capital and expense budgets for the section.
- Enforces health and safety regulations according to statutory requirements and applicable local and international safety standards and codes.
- Applies continuous research and effort to reduce energy consumption costs.
- Applies continuous effort to increase output quality and reduce turnaround times for on-going work.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Laws, regulations, guidelines, and codes standards pertaining to operation, maintenance and repair to medium and low voltage electrical installations and equipment in health institutions.
- Local and international electrical codes.
- Local and international safety codes and practices pertaining to health institutions.
- Engineering methods, materials, and tools used in the maintenance of electrical installations and equipment in health institutions.
- Standby generator and automatic transfer switch installation, operation and maintenance.
- Medium and low voltage installation, operation and maintenance.
- Word processing , spreadsheet and database and project applications.
- Ability to supervise technical staff.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and instructions.
- Ability to produce written documents and reports with clearly organized thoughts using standard English sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
- Ability to develop and interpret budget estimates and performance criteria.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with user departments’ representatives, manufacturers, contractors.
- Ability to use measuring instruments in addition to hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to work in elevated locations.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database and project applications.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Diploma in Electrical/Electronics Engineering from an accredited technical institution.
- Possession of a wireman’s licence.
- Five (5) years’ experience as a Senior Electrical Technician in a medium to large facility.
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence.