The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Health Planner
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to provide technical support to the Director, Health Policy, Research and Planning in planning for improvements in the health sector and the health status of the population.
- Assesses health needs and the economic, social and environmental factors that influence the health status of specific populations.
- Develops National Strategic Health Plans using a consultative approach.
- Conducts critical reviews of the Regional Health Authorities’ draft strategic plans so as to ensure they are in harmony with the overall strategic plan for the public health sector.
- Works with the Directorate of Human Resources in developing manpower plans for the health sector.
- Formulates and develops organisational and service strategies with a system wide view of health care provision,
- Leads and supports health service and population planning functions within the country, and
- Delivers well researched and presented strategic and technical advice, project outcomes and policies
- Conducts organizational reviews to identify strengths and weaknesses and to evaluate operational effectiveness.
- Makes recommendations based on emerging trends, expansion opportunities, competitive threats, viability of outside business partners, and internal business process improvement.
- Provide other related services as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of Public Sector Management;
- Considerable knowledge of Public Health issues and the challenges faced across diverse populations
- Considerable knowledge of strategic planning
- Working knowledge of developing manuals and work flow processes.
- Considerable knowledge of investigative/research methodology, its principles and techniques.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Identifies health risks of targeted populations.
- Identifies public health strategies for addressing current and emerging health needs.
- Identifies public health indicators and trends.
- Monitors and analyzes health program effectiveness.
- Makes recommendations for program modifications and/or improvements.
- Reads and interprets public health related data including statistics and health needs.
- Defines, assesses, and understands the health status of populations.
- Defines and understands the determinants of health and illness
- Defines and understands the factors influencing the use of health services.
- Assesses demographic information to plan appropriate size of facilities.
- Identifies the individual’s and organization’s responsibilities within the context of the Essential Public Health functions and core functions.
- Ability to earn trust and keep confidentiality
- Ability to demonstrate a positive work ethic that supports the quality of service that is required by the Units/Division with the Ministry
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to direct and lead staff engaged in the performance of support functions.
- Ability to collect, collate and critically analyze information, conduct research and make appropriate recommendations.
- Good Planning, Organization, Time Management Skills and implementation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork, manage, and analyze divergent points of view in leading discussions and answering questions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Masters Degree in Public Health specializing in Health Policy and Administration.
- Seven (7) years of experience in strategic planning/planning
- Any equivalent combination of qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities and experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.