The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Information Systems Specialist
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to perform specialized technical design, development, testing and implementation duties for the information systems software of the Ministry/Department.
Duties include: identification of the information needs of the Ministry/Department; facilitation of the requirements development process; selection and configuration or design and development of software and related solutions to meet these needs; testing and commissioning of the software solutions; and supervising ICT professional, technical and support staff. Depending on work assignment, the incumbent will be required to perform these duties in a specified category of software application solutions, such as: a) the business information systems of the Ministry/Department such as finance, payroll and human resource management; b) the Ministry/Department-specific information systems; c) any defined combination of business and Ministry/Department-specific information systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages projects for the development and implementation or the selection and configuration of the information systems of the Ministry/Department; also manages the identification and mitigation of project risk and takes action to ensure quality in delivery.
- Guides the scoping, analysis and prioritisation of change initiatives and the definition of the related business requirements to enable the development or selection of the required software solutions of the Ministry/Department.
- Develops business models, plans, and requirements to meet the needs of the Ministry/Department; and specifies business processes which drive improvements in the information systems and related data management within the Ministry/Department.
- Designs, develops, tests, corrects and documents information systems as part of the overall application development, configuration and maintenance process in accordance with agreed standards and specifications.
- Contributes to the design of information systems of the Ministry/Department, in accordance with defined standards and best practices, and within the constraints of cost, security and efficiency.
- Analyses business processes and identifies alternative approaches to performing business activities, such as automation; assesses feasibility of these approaches, and identifies the required changes to the business processes of the Ministry/Department.
- Investigates analyses and specifies the requirements for improving the business processes and systems of the Ministry/Department, including the preparation of feasibility studies and business cases.
- Validates and analyses data and information from internal and external sources, to meet the reporting needs of the Ministry/Department and its information users.
- Conducts security risk and vulnerability assessments for the Ministry/Department’s application software; applies the required physical, procedural and technical controls to ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability; and investigates and remedies related security incidents.
- Investigates and reports on hazards and potential risk events arising from the use of the information systems of the Ministry/Department.
- Provides inputs to the service continuity planning process for the Ministry/Department’s information systems and implements the resulting plans.
- Contributes to the planning and execution of the system and acceptance testing of new or modified information systems, particularly for areas of technical specialisation.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of software, particularly in areas of technical specialisation, by undertaking activities such as risk assessment and stakeholder coordination.
- Takes step to enable and promote compliance with Government’s policies and procedures, and established best practices around the use of information; and identifies the risks involved in the use of such information.
- Prepares, customises and delivers learning activities including training and sensitisation, on the information systems of the Ministry/Department to a variety of users and stakeholders.
- Keeps abreast of the opportunities provided by new information systems technology, tools and techniques and advises on their relevance, applicability and potential value to the Ministry/Department.
- Utilises agreed quality standards to review information systems development and implementation processes.
- Keeps abreast of the design, development, operations and management of information systems and products; provides expert advice regarding their selection and application.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge in the specification, selection, development, testing and commissioning of information systems.
- Knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within a large government based or business organisation.
- Knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant Public Service processes and procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise professional, technical and support staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to implement information system solutions.
- Ability to manage information systems development projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork and manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing at a supervisory level, including at least two (2) years’ experience in the design and development of information systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognized Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or a related area.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience at a supervisory level including at least four (4) years in the design and development of information systems.
- Training as evidenced by possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree.
- Certification in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience at a supervisory level including at least five (5) years’ in the design and development of information systems.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a two-year Diploma/Certificate in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.