The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Inspector (Correction) (GMG/SEG 1)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant posts of Senior Inspector (Correction) (GMG/SEG 1) in the Offender Management Division, Inspectorate Unit, Ministry of National Security.
Under the direction of the Director, Inspectorate, the incumbent is responsible for investigating breaches and irregularities within the Correctional Services Institutions and making recommendations to ensure that standards and operational procedures are adhered to in accordance with the relevant Acts, Regulations and Standards.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts special investigations into any or all facets of the Correctional Services Department’s operations;
- Conducts hearings into any aspect of the operations of Correctional Centres including staff and inmate related matters;
- Examines document and records (e.g. log books, medical reports, post mortem examinations) at Correctional Institutions in order to establish facts, detect discrepancies and ensuring compliance with requisite standards and procedures;
- Interviews complainants, accused persons and witnesses and prepares statements accordingly;
- Researches relevant policies, rules, standards etc., to support investigations.
- Examines documents and records at Correctional Institutions in order to establish facts and detect discrepancies and to ensure compliance with requisite standards and procedures;
- Prepares reports and makes recommendations accordingly;
- Participates as a member of the Inmate Classification Committee to determine the suitability for transfer to serve their sentences at medium and or at minimum security institutions;
- Conducts unscheduled visits to institution or hospitals where inmates are held to assess the adequacy of security systems (light, number of staff on duty and their alertness, locks on gates etc.);
- Reviews reports prepared by Inspectors;
- Reviews and submits completed Work Plans for direct reports;
- Participates in the classification of inmates and summary of proceedings.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Investigative skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and efficiently
- Knowledge of the legal system
- Computer literate
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Social Sciences;
- Two (2) years’ experience at the similar job;
- Specialized training in Customer Service, Investigative techniques and Coaching techniques
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- High security and risky environment;
- Undertake unscheduled visits whether night or day during weekends to hospitals where inmates are under guard;
- Interface with Offenders of serious crimes.
Salary range $1,348,545– $1,602,996 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.