The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Macro Economist (Macro Economic Monitoring, Analysis & Data Management) (GMG/SEG 3)
Job SummaryApplications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Senior Macro Economist (Macro Economic Monitoring, Analysis & Data Management) in the Economic Management Division of this Ministry.
The incumbent has responsibility for the analysis of macroeconomic and sector developments and policies, monitoring of economic outcomes, acting on behalf of the Ministry in inter-agency efforts to prepare and monitor the country’s economic programme. In addition, the incumbent shares responsibility for the preparation of information and the drafting of the Macroeconomic Framework section of the bi-annual Fiscal Policy Paper (FPP) and the attendant monitoring, consultations and communications initiatives.
- To manage macroeconomic datasets/dashboard and metadata.
- To track and report on macroeconomic outcomes against agreed targets and commitments.
- To provide advice to the Deputy Financial Secretary (DFS), Senior Director (SD) and Chief Macro Economist (CME) FPMB on macroeconomic and sector targets.
- To provide advice to the DFS, SD and CME on the macroeconomic and sector implications of various policy proposals.
- To provide advice to the DFS, SD and CME on appropriate macroeconomic and structural policies to achieve Government targets.
- To liaise with the Senior Fiscal Economists of the Branch to plan and collaborate on the preparation and publication of macroeconomic and fiscal data.
- To participate in inter-agency efforts to track in-year macroeconomic outcomes and plan policy response as required.
- To participate in inter-agency efforts to improve and enhance macroeconomic datasets.
- To manage direct report (Macro Economist) of the Macroeconomic Section of the Branch in the achievement of the above-mentioned strategic objectives.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Sound practical knowledge of macroeconomics, public sector economics and attendant quantitative tools;
- Excellent knowledge of the process, methods and tools used in macroeconomic forecasting, assessing the confidence interval surrounding the baseline solutions and in analyses of the impact of changes in exogenous assumptions or policies;
- Sound knowledge of strategies used to compile macroeconomic dashboards and to make effective presentations;
- Excellent knowledge of the macroeconomic history of Jamaica and context for current situation;
- Good knowledge of financial administration legislation, including in respect of macroeconomic and fiscal targets and commitments;
- Thorough knowledge of inter-sector macro-linkages and linkages between fiscal and monetary policies;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word and Excel) and other software required for economic and fiscal analyses and for secure database management and electronic information exchanges.
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines
- Masters Degree in Economics, Public Finance, or equivalent;
- Four to five years’ experience in economic policy design and implementation and quantitative research/analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Public Finance, or equivalent;
- Seven years’ experience in economic policy design and implementation and quantitative research/analysis.
- Salary: $2,097,527-$2,493,300 per annum
- Travelling Allowance: $707,448 per annum
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted