The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Maintenance Technician
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the post of Senior Maintenance Technician at the SWRHA.
The Senior Maintenance Technician provides technical skills (electrical, electronic, mechanical, civil, air conditioning and refrigeration, etc.) applicable to maintenance of health care facilities and supervises subordinate staff in technical activities. The health institutions operate on a 24 hour basis, and accordingly this person may be required to work on shift or “on call” arrangements.
The job may involve considerable travelling and fieldwork throughout the region.
NB: This job is subject to exposure to electrical and mechanical hazards, vibration, dust, hazardous waste and other conditions as found in a hospital environment.
Key functions & Duties:
- Performs advanced repairs and adjustments to equipment and physical facilities throughout the region.
- Inspects equipment and physical facilities to determine maintenance, repair, and replacement needs.
- Provides technical guidance to subordinate staff.
- Consults with the General Maintenance Services Supervisor to develop and plan maintenance strategies and co-ordinate work schedule for section staff.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of a manual and/or computerised preventive maintenance system for the region.
- Consults with the General Maintenance Services Supervisor to develop, control and report on capital and expense budgets for the section.
- Enforces health and safety regulations according to statutory requirements and applicable local and international safety standards and codes.
- Consults with the General Maintenance Services Supervisor to develop and implement security systems for protection of plant and property.
- Applies continuous effort to increase output quality and reduce turnaround times for on-going work.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Regulations, guidelines, and standards related to particular skill.
- Safety practices, methods, materials, and tools used in the performance of skill.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database applications would be an asset.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and instructions.
- Ability to produce written documents and reports with clearly organized thoughts using standard English sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
- Ability to use measuring instruments in addition to hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to supervise subordinates.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, and work in confined areas.
- Ability to work in elevated locations.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Diploma in particular skill from an accredited technical institution with at least five (5) years practical experience in the particular skill.
- Proven record of ability to supervise subordinates.