The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Network Specialist
Job SummaryTo perform specialized technical duties in the administration, operations, maintenance and support of the computer network hardware, software, intranet, internet, portal, communications, LANs, WANs and related infrastructure of a large Ministry.
Duties include: ensuring secure network and communications operations, including the intranet, portal and internet-related services; providing network management and network maintenance; delivering successful network, messaging and communications projects; achieving targeted service and availability levels; and supervising other network professionals, technical and support staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the operations and maintenance of the networking and connectivity infrastructure of the Ministry/Department in accordance with agreed standards and procedures, and ensures that agreed service levels are met.
- Supports the Manager in the production of network and connectivity designs, policies, strategies, architectures and specifications for the networks required to support the business requirements and strategy of the Ministry/Department.
- Negotiates service level agreements for network and infrastructure components, diagnoses service delivery problems, and initiates action to maintain and improve the levels of service delivery.
- Delivers network management and support, and provides network maintenance services, including network support, the resolution of network problems and implementation of preventative measures.
- Conducts security risk and vulnerability assessments for computer networks (intranet and internet), communications and related infrastructure, and develops and applies appropriate technical security controls.
- Investigates security breaches with networks and connectivity infrastructure in accordance with established procedures, and takes the necessary corrective action.
- Reviews and maintains the networking plans for the Ministry/Department, and assists with planning of the technology infrastructure to deliver connectivity and network services to meet these agreements.
- Monitors network and connectivity service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfall in accordance with agreed policies and procedures.
- Contributes to ensuring that the network and connectivity infrastructure meets all agreed performance targets and service levels, and assists with disaster recovery arrangements and testing of the recovery procedures.
- Provides inputs to the service continuity planning process, and implements the approved plans in order to achieve defined levels of continuity of the networks and related infrastructure of the Ministry/Department.
- Coordinates the installation, testing, commissioning/decommissioning of networking and connectivity infrastructure in accordance with agreed quality and safety plans.
- Conducts research into and explore ways to use emerging technologies and products to further the networking and connectivity goals of the Ministry/Department.
- Participates as a member of the project management team for defined networking and connectivity projects of the Ministry/Department by undertaking activities such as the identification and mitigation of project risk and ensuring quality in project delivery.
- Prepares and delivers learning activities, such as training, to a variety of audiences in areas of technical specialisation and responsibility.
- Assists with facilitating the administration of the acquisition, storage, distribution and movement of network and connectivity assets across the Ministry/Department.
- Keeps abreast of developments in computer networking and communications infrastructure, and provides advice regarding their application, and utilises this knowledge in performing job duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the defined components of networking and connectivity infrastructure.
- Knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within an organisation.
- Knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Some knowledge of relevant Public Service processes and procedures.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise professional, technical and support staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to implement technology solutions.
- Ability to manage ICT projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork and manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT, including at least two (2) years’ experience in the development, implementation, management and operation of networks, messaging and communications infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognized Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or a related area.
- Minimum of seven (7) years; experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT, including four (4) years in the development, implementation, management and operation of networks, messaging and communications infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree.
- Certification in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience at a supervisory level in the area of ICT, in addition to at least five (5) years’ experience in development, implementation, management and operation of networks, messaging and communications infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a two-year Diploma/Certificate in the area of ICT from a recognised institution.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.