The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Project Manager
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to manage the activities of large scale and complex project(s) in a Ministry/Department; typically, these projects have a large budget and scope and carry significant risks and financial impact.
Duties include ensuring that all the goals and objectives of the project(s) are accomplished within the prescribed timelines and budget, developing project plans, budget and schedules; implementing project plans; managing and leading project teams; monitoring and managing project scope, risks and issues; and responding on project activities to management and other stakeholders. Dependent on assignment, the incumbent may be required to perform some or the full range of duties of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements project plans/proposals. This includes:
- Holding meetings with stakeholders to obtain information on business requirements;
- Determining the scope and deliverables of the project;
- Identifying the work activities required for successful project completion;
- Establishing schedules;
- Preparing budgetary and staffing plans;
- Identifying and assessing risks and issues.
- Monitors and manages project expenditure to ensure project is completed within budget; applies for release of funds as required; authorises project expenditure in line with budget plan.
- Manages project schedule to ensure timely completion of the project and milestones establishes workplan and staffing for project; arranges for recruitment and assignment of project personnel; supervises assigned project team(s).
- Manages changes to project scope, including costs, schedule, scope and quality; ensures all changes are documented and approved.
- Monitors and manages project quality to ensure the deliverables comply with agreed standards.
- Monitors, manages and responds to project risks and issues; recommends and implements solutions.
- Provides oversight of contractors/consultants and outsourcing services to ensure compliance with contract; also evaluates their performance.
- Performs project post-implementation activities such as soliciting feedback from stakeholders, preparing reports and archiving information.
- Prepares Cabinet Notes, reports, presentations and other documents on project matters for management; reviews status and other reports prepared by project personnel.
- Convenes meetings on project matters with management, project staff, contractors/consultants and other stakeholders.
- Performs related work as may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of Strategic Management, Project Cycle Management.
- Considerable knowledge of relevant government financial rules, regulations and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of relevant procedures, rules, regulations and policies of the Central Tenders Board Ordinance.
- Knowledge of public sector management principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of Civil Service HRM rules, regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of the operations of national Development Programmes, for example, the Public Sector Investment Programme, Infrastructure Development Fund.
- Knowledge of the operations of internationally funded projects.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in the use of project management software.
- Skill in programme/project planning and implementation.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to analyse and evaluate projects and to devise effective methods of evaluation.
- Ability to lead and manage small to medium sized projects, including project team within and external to the ministry.
- Ability to lead the project implementation process and devise creative solutions to address problems encountered and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to conduct research into programme/project related issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with project stakeholders, associates, other public service employees and the public.
Minimum Experience and Training:
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in project management, including a minimum of three (3) years in leading projects.
- Training as evidenced by:
- A Masters’ degree in Project Management from a recognised institution.
- A Masters’ degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Management or the Social Sciences together with professional qualifications such as the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, PRINCE2 etc.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.