The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Public Health Nurse (HPC/RN5), St. Elizabeth Health Department
Job SummaryThe Southern Regional Health Authority (SRHA) invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Senior Public Health Nurse (HPC/RN5), St. Elizabeth Health Department
Reporting to the Medical Officer of Health, the Senior Public Health Nurse will be responsible to provide supervision, leadership and management of nursing and midwifery staff and services to ensure the positive health outcomes of health promotion and disease prevention and control of diseases in the parish of St. Elizabeth.
Qualification and Experience:
- Certificate/Diploma/Bachelor Science Degree in General Nursing from an accredited school.
- Certificate in Midwifery.
- B. Sc. Degree in Public Health Nursing
- Certificate or Degree in Nursing Administration/Supervisory Management/Health Services Management
- Master of Public Health/Human Resource Management/Development or other equivalent post graduate degree.
- Registration with the Nursing Council of Jamaica as RN and RM.
- Five to seven (5-7) years’ clinical practice to proficiency level as a Registered Nurse Midwife.
- Six (6) years Public Health Nursing Practice.
- Three (3) years Public Health Nursing Administration.
Specific Skills and Knowledge Required:
- The principles and practices of Public Health Nursing
- Nursing theories and practice, research principles, methodology and techniques.
- Behavioural and natural sciences, and the principles of management.
- Community health, pharmacology, therapeutics, and family planning techniques.
- Nursing and midwifery regulation.
- Fertility Management
- Public health laws and regulations.
- Social agencies and the services offered
- Excellent administrative, leadership and communication skills as a middle manager.
- Good clinical and diagnostic/problem-solving skills
- Good human/interpersonal relations skills
- Sound analytical skills
Key Responsibilities include:
- Preparing programme plans to meet Parish, Regional, and National goals.
- Collaborating with other team members in setting targets and planning strategies for implementation.
- Initiating and coordinating surveillance and control of communicable disease programmes at the parish level in collaboration with the Medical Officer (Health) and other key stakeholders.
- Liaising with other team members at the health district and regional level in the prevention and containment of disease epidemics of national and international significance.
- Conducting training needs assessment of nursing and midwifery personnel.
- Managing continuing education activities or training to promote the effective performance of team members.
- Utilizing programme outputs and other relevant data to guide research agenda.
- Participating in advanced epidemiological investigations.
NB. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.