The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Research Director (SOG/ST 8)
Job SummaryThe Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries is inviting suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Senior Research Director (SOG/ST 8) in the Research and Development Division, Montpelier, Montego Bay.
Under the direct supervision of the Principal Research Director(SOG/ST 10), the Senior Research Director (SOG/ST 8) is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating and controlling the implementation of the research programmes at the Montpellier Research Station.
- Reports produced
- Programmes, implemented and monitored
- Work plan prepared
- Research projects planned
- Procedures and systems developed
- Activities conducted
- Information disseminated
- Research trials established
- Staff performance assessed and evaluated
- Staff needs identified and addressed
- Competent and productive staff
- Unit budget, strategic and operational plans developed
- Unit Work plans developed and implemented
- Seminars, meetings, workshops coordinated
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Prepares, presents the annual research and development programmes of work and related financial budget
- Participates in the Research and Development strategic planning
- Coordinates the development of operational plans and budgets for the Unit and monitors the implementation of these plans and budgets to ensure that the Unit’s work is carried out according to plan and within budget and that the agreed targets are met
- Develops priority settings for the Unit
- Ensures the availability of adequate resources for research programmes
- Monitors, evaluates and reports on the progress and status of all development programmes at the research station
- Ensures the security of the station
- Represents the organization at the national, regional and international levels
- Collaborates with heads of research units, chief research officers to determine specific research projects
- Develops in conjunction with project heads the procedures and systems for efficient and effective conduct of research
- Liaises with local, regional and international organization on matters relative to the improved conduct of research and development activities
- Establishes research trials in keeping with the national programme
- Disseminates research and development information
Human Research Responsibilities
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommend and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division/Unit and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Human Resource Division, develops and implements a succession planning programme for the Division/Unit to facilitate continuity and the availability of required skills and competencies to meet the needs of the Division.
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Division/Unit are clearly identified and addressed.
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and organization’s goals.
- Perform any other related duties which may be assigned from time to time
- Programmes monitored, evaluated and reports prepared in a timely manner according to set standards
- Reports are submitted in agreed time frame according to established standards
- Adequate resources provided for implementation of projects within agreed time frame
- Operational plan and budget prepared in keeping with the required format and submitted within the stipulated timeframe
- Comprehensive and Accurate Reports submitted within the set timeframe in the required format
- Work plan prepared are in keeping with the Divisions strategic objectives and overall Ministry’s Strategic Business Plan
- Research projects planned are in keeping with the Research and Development programmes
- Procedures and systems developed are in keeping with the Research and Development goals and objectives
- Work activities conducted are in keeping with the Division’s goals
- Information disseminated are precise and timely
- Research trials established in keeping with the Division’s mandate and established format and standards
- Staff performance assessed and evaluated in accordance with the GOJ Performance Management and Appraisal System(PMAS)
- Staff needs identified and addressed in keeping with the Ministry’s standard
- Competent and productive staff
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Good interpersonal and people management skills
- Strong customer relations skills
- Good problem solving and conflict management skills
- Knowledge of the operations of Government / Knowledge of the Ministry’s policies and procedures
- Knowledge in the application of animal breeding principles and procedures
- Sound knowledge of associated disciplines Agronomy, Crop Protection, Research Management and Station Management
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- M.Sc. in Agriculture
- Five (5) years related experience in livestock/ crop research,
- Three (3) years’ experience in a senior management position with government or similar institution; plus completion and publication of at least 3 research papers.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
- Extensive travelling
- Rough terrain
- Recommends leaves, promotion, appointment, disciplinary action
- Signs off pay bill
- Approves expenditure for Station purchases
Please note that we thank all for responding, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.