The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Research Officer -Entomology (SOG/ST 7)
Job SummaryApplications are invited to fill the following temporary position of Senior Research Officer -Entomology (SOG/ST 7) at the Natural History Museum of Jamaica (NHMJ)
The Senior Research Officer (Entomology) is responsible for the collection, identification, research, preservation and systematic storage of the NHMJ’s zoological collections. The incumbent directly supervises three members of staff and also plans and administers the research projects of the Zoology Department.
- Ensure that departmental policies are enforced.
- Identify areas in which the collections are deficient and submit plans to the Director of the NHMJ for specific improvements.
- Assist with the preparation of Operational and Corporate Plans
- Prepare work plans and unit plans
- Prepare bimonthly, quarterly and annual reports on activities
- Supervise the maintenance and expansion of the zoological collections
- Monitor the curation of the collections in collaboration with the Zoologist.
- Keep abreast of scientific name changes and other developments in the classification of fauna, particularly insects.
- Select specimens from the collection to be sent out on loan or for exchange.
- Develop and conduct workshops, seminars, lectures, and slide shows on Entomology/Zoology to students and the general public, in collaboration with NHMJ’s research staff
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- M.Phil. /M.Sc. in Zoology with postgraduate training in Entomology
- Three (3) years’ experience in faunal collection
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
- The post requires that the officer travel island-wide on a regular basis.
- Regular contact with chemicals such as paradichlorobenzene, alcohol and formaldehyde.
- Regular field trips around the island, involving hiking across rough terrain, through mosquito infested forests, contact with poisonous plants e.g. Nettle, Cow-itch.
Period of Employment
October 2, 2017 – April 30, 2019