The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Secretary (OPS/SS 3)
Job SummaryUnder the direct supervision of the Chief of Security, the incumbent is responsible for providing secretarial and administrative functions that enhance and simplify the work processes and operations of the Security Unit.
- Establishes and maintains a system for the control of files in order to access/retrieve required information;
- Monitors files concerning matters in progress to assist in expediting completion;
- Attends meetings and records and prepares Minutes;
- Opens and records mail received and addressed to the Chief of Security; also dispatches incoming correspondence to the respective offices;
- Ensures that activities of Chief of Security are properly co-ordinated with regard to meetings, travelling arrangements and training etc.;
- Arranges the dispatch of urgent messages via fax, email or other relevant communication media;
- Monitors telephone calls and messages received in the Office of the Chief of Security and provides advice within the scope of authority in the absence of the Chief of Security;
- Types letters to Airport Authority of Jamaica requesting passes for employees and contract companies assigned to or visit Airmail Facility at the Norman Manley International Airport;
- Types letters to contract companies advising of burglar alarms systems that need to be repaired at Post Offices and Postal Agencies islandwide;
- Types letters to contractor whenever repairs are required to be done to vaults, iron safes and strong room at Post Offices and Postal Agencies;
- Types memoranda to Security Officers assigned at Head Office advising authorization of external organization or personnel that should or should not enter the building for various reasons;
- Types letters to contractor regarding duplication of letter box keys in respect of Post Offices islandwide;
- Calculates overtime allowance for Office Attendant staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good customer relation skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Exhibits high level of initiative
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Capable of working independently
- Report and Minute Writing skills
- Sound knowledge of Records Management
- Working knowledge of the Government /Department policies and procedures
- Possess a working knowledge of office equipment eg. fax and photocopy machine
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- CXC or GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language; successful completion of the prescribed Secretarial Course of study at the Management Institute for National Development (MIND) or any Accredited Secretarial Studies, proficiency in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute, plus four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience;
- Graduation from an accredited school of Secretarial Studies with proficiency in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute, training in the use of a variety of software applications e.g., word processing, database and spread sheets; English Language at CXC or GCE O’Level; completion of the appropriate Office Professional Training Course at the Management Institute for National Development, plus four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience;
- Successful completion of the Certified Professional Secretary course; proficient in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute; English Language at CXC or GCE O’Level; training in the use of a variety of software applications and four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience plus the appropriate Office Professional Training Course at the Management Institute for National Development.
Salary range $828,588 – $984,930 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.