- Types letters, memoranda or documents including, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU’s), Contracts, Agreements, Reports, Briefs, Cabinet/Legislation Submissions, Cabinet Note, Legislation Programme and Status Report of the Legal Department;
- Records and maintains incoming and outgoing correspondence and routes same, appropriately;
- Maintains an effective filling system, both electronically and manually which allows for speedy retrieval of documents/information, appropriately;
- Prepares routing of Orders and Board Appointees to the Jamaica Printing Services to be Gazetted and other outgoing mails to the Registry;
- Takes Minutes of internal meetings and transcribe same in a timely manner;
- Organizes meetings hosted by the Senior Legal Officer;
- Prepares request for the booking of Conference Rooms for meetings;
- Prepares agenda for meetings and organizes relevant information and documentations for the Legal Officers;
- Maintains Diary/Calendar and schedules appointments for the Senior Legal Officer;
- Prepares Travel Claims for the Legal Officers;
- Prepares documents for work related training and travel;
- Prepares the Stationery Request for the Department on a weekly basis;
- Follows–up on external and internal correspondence;
- Prepares Monthly Attendance and Productivity Reports;
- Prepares Monthly Productivity Reports for the Legal Officers;
- Assists the Legal Officers with downloading of information from the internet which relates to the Department and/or the Ministry;
- Photocopies documents and faxes information, where appropriate;
- Receives and makes telephone calls on the request of the Senior Legal Officer;
- Answers the telephone and records messages and routes same, appropriately;
- Answers queries over the telephone and greets visitors to the Department;
- Performs any other related duties assigned by the Senior Legal Officer.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of Secretarial environment
- Good Research skills
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
- Organizational awareness
- Confidentiality and Integrity
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- CXC or GCE ‘O’ Level subjects including English Language; successful completion of the prescribed Secretarial Course of study at the Management Institute for National Development (MIND) or any Accredited Secretarial Studies, proficiency in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute, plus four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience;
- Graduation from an accredited school of Secretarial Studies with proficiency in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute, training in the use of a variety of software applications e.g., word processing, database and spread sheets; English Language at CXC or GCE O’Level; completion of the appropriate Office Professional Training Course at the Management Institute for National Development, plus four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience;
- Successful completion of the Certified Professional Secretary course; proficient in typewriting at a speed of 50-55 words per minute and shorthand at a speed of 100-120 words per minute; English Language at CXC or GCE O’Level; training in the use of a variety of software applications and four (4) to five (5) years’ general office experience plus the appropriate Office Professional Training Course at the Management Institute for National Development.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Will be required to use the computer for long hours.
Salary range $887,418 - $1,054,861 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.