The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Tax Auditor - Petroleum Audit
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the vacant post of Senior Tax Auditor - Petroleum Audit, Large Taxpayers Division (RS Level: 8) within the Guyana Revenue Authority.
- Interpreting and implementing GRA’s audit policies, programmes, procedures and standards with regards to Large Taxpayers in the petroleum sector.
- Effectively conducting audits/examinations and assisting with the review of the audit plans and preliminary/pre-contact audit report prepared by Tax Auditors.
- Assessing cases for potential compliance issues and audit risks.
- Assisting in reviewing case work load assigned to Auditors.
- Investigating activities of taxpayers to ensure that they comply with the legal requirements in accordancewith the Tax Laws and Regulations for the petroleum industry.
- Participating in preparing risk management reports to identify significant erosion of tax base.
- Conducting technical and complex audits in accordance with accounting principles and auditing
procedures to ensure that taxpayers comply with the legal requirements in accordance with the Tax Laws.
- Observing, comparing and reviewing financial records at the taxpayer’s/representative’s business locationor when deemed necessary at the LTD’s office, to determine taxpayer compliance with tax laws.
- Compiling spreadsheets, organising and analysing detailed financial data and prepare audit notes basedon established standards.
- Researching and examining relevant source documents internal and external to GRA to arrive at audit conclusions on highly complex issues.
- Ensuring that all audit issues and findings are properly analysed, have the appropriate legal basis,
alternative solutions explored and make the appropriate recommendations in reports.
- Preparing correspondence to taxpayers informing them of final audit findings.
- Discussing proposed adjustments, penalty recommendations and resolution of technical and significantaudit issues with taxpayers/representatives.
- Educating taxpayers on tax laws, GRA’s policies and procedures and all rights and obligations.
- Preparing cases to be forwarded to Debt Management to initiate action for collection from delinquent taxpayers.
- Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA), Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Management, Economics, or any other equivalent qualifications.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Auditing and accounting.
- In-depth knowledge of Tax Laws, standard procedures, Trade Policies and related court rulings and case law.
- In-depth knowledge of auditing principles, practices and standards and their application.
- In-depth knowledge of tax evasion practices, and international tax issues.
- In-depth knowledge of standard business operational and commercial practices (both local and international).
- In-depth knowledge of Exchange of Information Conventions and Practices
- Excellent interpersonal skills including, written and oral communication, analytical, persuasive, team building and negotiating skills.
- Excellent leadership, organisation and team building skills.
- High level of Integrity.
- Sound knowledge of the relevant computer systems and applications.
- Ability to organise, motivate and resolve conflict constructively.
- Ability to conduct interviews.