The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Technical Officer - Trade
Job SummaryUnder the direction of the Head, Trade Policy Unit, the Senior Technical Officer shall be responsible for monitoring and analysing trends in the tourism industry & assisting Member States to develop a coordinated approach to tourism within the region
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is the inter-governmental organisation dedicated to economic harmonisation and integration, protection of human and legal rights, and the encouragement of good governance between countries and dependencies in the Eastern Caribbean.
The Organisation came into being on 18 June, 1981, when seven Eastern Caribbean countries signed a treaty agreeing to cooperate with each other and promote unity and solidarity among the Members. The Treaty became known as the Treaty of Basseterre, so named in honor of the capital city of St. Kitts and Nevis where it was signed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise Member States on matters relating to competition policy, intellectual property, public procurement, consumer protection and trade remedies relating to their participation in free trade agreements and the Economic Union which includes:
- preparing papers/presentations to enable appropriate decision making by the relevant OECS entities and the Commission;
- Participating in and organising meetings of relevant OECS entities;
- providing advice and information on developments and issues in trade negotiations
- Implementing decisions or directives of the relevant OECS entities.
- Undertake capacity building initiatives with stakeholders such as trade officials
- Representing the Commission at conferences, meetings and relevant events
- Work closely with consultants or such or personnel undertaking relevant work for the Commission or Member States
- Work closely with other units within the Commission who treat with competition policy, sanitary and phytosanitary measures and trade remedies in order to achieve synergies in the delivery of the Commission’s work programme
- Undertake public outreach on activities undertaken by the Trade Policy Unit
- Carry out such other related matters as may be required from time to time by the Head of the Trade Policy Unit, the Director, Economic Affairs and Regional Integration Division or the Director General.
The Senior Technical Officer will report to the Head, Trade Policy Unit.
The Senior Technical Officer will be expected to:
(a) Exercise a high degree of responsibility and professionalism in the execution of duties;
(b) Work with multi-disciplinary teams of professionals;
(c) Respect the confidentiality of information and decisions of the Commission and its Institutions;
(d) Work extended hours when the exigencies of the work of the Division or Commission so require; and
(e) Regularly travel overseas particularly within the OECS and CARICOM region.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A post graduate degree in Economics or International Trade or related field or a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics or international Trade or related field with a minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience on trade policy issues in the OECS or CARICOM region.
- Must have a clear understanding of the trade and integration issues/concerns that are relevant to Small Island Developing States (SIDS), in particular the OECS Countries, in order to present arguments that reflect those issues/concerns in various trade negotiating theatres and policy documents;
- Certification in trade negotiations or trade policyby any of the international or multilateral organisations would be a distinct advantage
- Intimate knowledge of and ability to work closely with other regional and international Institutions on trade policy issues;
- Capacity to lead, motivate and effectively communicate with the public and private sector in the OECS on trade policy issues;
- Ability to organize and conduct training sessions on trade policy issues for the private and public sector in the OECS;
- Some experience in negotiating trade agreements;
- Working knowledge of trade agreements;
- Some experience in Project coordination and management;
- Have a good understanding of the OECS Region and the work mandate of the OECS Commission;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience and competence in relevant computer applications;
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team;
- Ability to take initiative and to work with minimum supervision.
The OECS Commission is headquartered in Saint Lucia. The position of Senior Technical Officer is open to nationals of OECS member states.