The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Veterinary Biochemical Analyst (SOG/ST 6)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant post of Senior Veterinary Biochemical Analyst (SOG/ST 6) in the Veterinary Services Division, Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries.
Under the general supervision of the Toxicologist, the Senior Veterinary Biochemical Analyst (SOG/ST 6) assists in organizing and executing all programmes within the Residue and Biochemical Laboratory in order to safeguard the wholesomeness of animal protein for human consumption with respect to hazardous chemicals and biological contaminants.
- Assists in co-ordinating the technical activities of the Residue and Biochemical sub-unit
- Maintains quality assurance system;
- Designs, validates and implements experiments for pesticides, heavy metals, biotoxins and veterinary drug residues;
- Analyzes samples from animal origin, animal feed and water samples for environmental contaminants;
- Collects samples from island wide Municipal and private slaughterhouses, farms, processing plants and ports of entry;
- VSDL sample reception and transfer to relevant sub-units;
- Analyzes regulatory, diagnostic and surveillance samples for environmental contaminants, drug residues and food safety/wholesomeness;
- Prepares certificate of analyses for completed tests;
- Participates in proficiency testing and inter-laboratory collaborations;
- Interprets analytical and diagnostic data;
- Prepares reports;
- Procures and maintains inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment;
- Calibrates and verifies Laboratory equipment;
- Generates sampling, cleaning, maintenance and training schedules;
- Reviews relevant workbooks and forms;
- Conducts literature research to improve methodologies and update standard operating procedures;
- Attends laboratory committee meetings to review and update the laboratory’s operational procedures;
- Disseminates technical and non-technical information to relevant personnel and groups.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good customer and quality focus skills
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Goal/results oriented
- Planning and organizing skills
- Ability to work in a team work
- Proficient in the use of relevant computer applications and software manipulations
- Technical competence in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology and molecular biology
- Ability to work in accordance with a laboratory quality management system
- Good understanding of statistics and analytical skills
- Knowledge of research methods and investigative analysis
- Proficient in area of expertise – heavy metals, bio toxins, pesticide residue etc
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Natural Sciences (Biochemistry/Chemistry/Microbiology/Zoology);
- Two (2) years’ work experience in a laboratory environment.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Exposure to hazardous and toxic chemicals , reagents and fumes;
- Exposure to potentially harmful, infectious specimen;
- Exposure to radioactive material;
- Exposure to loud noises.
Salary range $1,361,593 – $1,618,506 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.