The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Works Policy Officer (GMG/SEG 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to be assigned to the post of Senior Works Policy Officer (GMG/SEG 3) – (Not Vacant) in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation.
Under the general direction of the Director, Works Policy, the incumbent is responsible for formulating, reviewing and advising on works infrastructure policies and for liaising with portfolio agencies to ensure that policies, programmes and projects are implemented and monitored.
- Facilitates the implementation of programmes and projects being undertaken by the National Works Agency, the Port Authority of Jamaica, the Road Maintenance Fund, the Urban Development Corporation and the Factories Corporation of Jamaica;
- Drafts Cabinet Submissions, Cabinet Notes, Ministry Papers and other policy documents for the review of the Director, Works Policy;
- Reviews and researches sub-sector issues that require policy changes;
- Assists in the development of Policy and Action Plans for implementation in collaboration with the key stakeholders and other Agencies in keeping with the Ministry’s Corporate Plan;
- Facilitates and encourages stakeholder participation in the formation of policy;
- Facilitates the approval and award of works infrastructure contracts in keeping with the Government of Jamaica’s Handbook of Public Sector Procurement Procedures;
- Liaises with Government Ministries and Agencies to achieve co-ordination, collaboration and integration of government policies;
- Prepares briefs, reports and meeting notes for the attention of the Honourable Minister and/or the Permanent Secretary;
- Liaises with the Legal Unit and the Attorney General Chambers in the review, implementation and monitoring of the Legislative Programme for the works infrastructure portfolio of the Ministry;
- Investigates and responds to the public queries regarding works infrastructure issues and problems;
- Monitors the impact of implemented works infrastructure policies;
- Provides guidance and leadership to the Works Policy Officer;
- Prepares the Unit’s Corporate and Operational Plans and Budget for the review of the Director, Works Policy.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound background in policy development
- Excellent knowledge of Government’s policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation processes and parliamentary procedures
- Knowledge of works policy objectives, operations and planning processes
- Knowledge of prevailing social and economic factors impacting transport
- Knowledge of relevant environment standards and regulations
- Strong research and consultative skills
- Experienced in the use of standard computer applications
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Good Initiative, team work and cooperation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Sector Management, Public Administration, Public Policy or related field;
- Training in policy formulation and management;
- Five (5) years professional experience in Policy Development and Analysis in the Public Sector.
Salary range $2,097,527 – $2,493,300 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.