The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Specialist Medical Officer (Cardiology)
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the vacanct post of Specialist Medical Officer (Cardiology) at the SWRHA.
The Specialist Medical Officer is responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of in and out patients under the Specialist Medical Officer’s charge, continuing clinical responsibility for all patients in his/her charge until their final discharge or transfer. Duties will involve outpatient clinical services at San Fernando General Hospital and other Health Facilities as determined by the Executive Medical Director.
The Specialist Medical Officer is also responsible for the standards of medical practice and ethics and for the continued supervision and Ward handling of staff, maintenance of acceptable and agreed standards of medical care for patients who come under his/her responsibility and for the proper conduct of medical staff directly under supervision.
The SMO, Cardiology will report to the Medical Director.
Key Functions & Duties:
- Collaborates, writes and responds to requests for consultation from other Specialist Medical Officers in units throughout the Regional System in the diagnosis and management of patients not directly under his/her care in consultation when so requested.
- Accepts responsibility for the teaching of the highest standards of medical practice to both under-graduates and post-graduate students who may be assigned to the unit or firm from time to time.
- Performs regular rounds with the Registrar and Junior Officers to assist patients’ management.
- Ensures proper communication to all patients under his/her charge as to the nature of their illness and the outlook in treatment of their well being so that they understand the full extent of their recovery or disability as may be the case.
- Maintains the discipline and code of behaviour of medical staff directly under his/her supervision.
- Accepts other responsibilities that the Medical Director may request from time to time, e.g. representation on Committees, investigates patient management practices, and initiates new procedures and services.
- Implements Admission Discharge and Transfer (A.D.T) policies for his/her unit as formulated by Head of Department.
- Performs related work as may be required such as Treadmill stress tests, Echocardiograms, Holter Monitor interpretation, Tilt table testing and pacemaker implantation.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize new and old medical knowledge for the development of techniques of patient care in institution.
- Ability to display energy, drive, self-motivation, flexibility in work style and organization, emotional stability and maturity, good communication and interpersonal skills, good work ethic and high moral standards.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- MRCP or equivalent with a minimum of five (5) years post specialization experience. A post graduate degree/Diploma/Fellowship in Cardiology is essential.
- Current registration with the Medical Board of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Ability to communicate effectively and inspire team work among medical and nursing staff within the department.