The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Specialist Medical Officer - Emergency Room (Emergency Medicine)
Job SummaryThe successful candidate is required to lead the team responsible for providing health care services to patients.
Duties involve providing emergency and elective care to patients accessing the Secondary Care facilities for medical services relating to the specialist field of study and supervising the work of junior doctors, as well as consulting and advising other medical practitioners on various medical issues as part of an integrated treatment team. The incumbent would also ensure adherence to guidelines and procedures to avoid the occurrence of adverse events.
- Develops protocols and guidelines for managing patients under their care and continues clinical responsibility for such patients until their final discharge
- Communicates to all patients under their charge on the nature of their illnesses and the outlook in treatment of their wellbeing so that they understand (within their capacity to do so) the full extent of their recovery or disability as may be the case.
- Reviews and confirms diagnoses and prescribed course of treatment for patients as recommended by junior officers, referring complicated cases for further professional attention.
- Liaises with other medical and non-medical professionals in the hospital for information and resources to guarantee high quality treatment.
- Provides continuous supervision, training and guidance to junior doctors; ensuring that appropriate systems are in place to address any identified deficiencies
- Conducts and participates in mandatory in-house continuing medical education activities including daily ward rounds, teaching rounds and grand rounds with medical and nursing staff, as appropriate
- Maintains the discipline and code of behavior of all categories of staff directly under their supervision
- Participates in research projects and clinical audits which may involve the unit and/or in collaboration with other units.
- Accept such other responsibilities that the Authority through the Medical Chief of Staff and/or Head of Department may request from time-to-time, e.g. representation on Committees, investigation of patient management practices, initiation of new procedures, processes and/or protocols.
- Performs other related duties as directed
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-graduate degree in the selected specialization from a recognized institution
- Qualification from an approved institution registered with the Medical Board of Trinidad and Tobago
- Full unrestricted registration with the Medical Board of Trinidad and Tobago
- Specialist Registration or Registration of Higher Qualification with the Medical Board of Trinidad and Tobago
- A minimum of five  years’ post-graduate experience/training in the area of specialization
Certificates acquired at foreign universities MUST be supported by certified transcripts as well as evidence that the completed programme is accredited in Trinidad and Tobago as certified by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) or the relevant Registration Boards or Councils
All applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 55 years.
Unsuitable Applications Will Not Be Acknowledged