The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Specialist Medical Officer (Oral & Maxillofacial) Surgery
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the vacanct post of Specialist Medical Officer (Oral & Maxillofacial) Surgery at the SWRHA.
The Specialist Medical Officer (OMFS) treat conditions, defects, injuries and aesthetic aspects of the mouth, teeth, jaw, face and neck. The Specialist Medical Officer (OMFS) is also responsible for providing quality care with maximum patient comfort and safety.
The Specialist Medical Officer, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) will report to the Head of Department, ENT.
Key Functions & Duties:
- Diagnose and treat congenital and acquired diseases injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaw and the hard and soft tissue of the Oral (mouth) and Maxillofacial (jaw and face) region.
- Collaborates with other medical professionals such as restorative dentists and orthodontists to plan treatment.
- Repairs facial skin lacerations, fractured jaw and facial bones, reconnecting severed nerves and ducts.
- Assists in research projects which may involve his/her department and/or in collaboration with other departments.
- Restores form and function by moving skin, bone, nerves and other tissues from other parts of the body in order to reconstruct the jaw and face.
- Evaluates the position of the wisdom teeth in order to determine whether problem exist currently or might occur in the future.
- Ensures proper communication to all patients under his/her charge as to the nature of their illness and the outlook in treatment of their well-being so that they understand the full extent of their recovery.
- Collaborates, writes and responds to request for consultation from other Specialist Medical Officers in units throughout the Regional System in the diagnosis and management of patients not directly under his/her care in consultation when so requested.
- Accepts responsibility for the teaching of the highest standards of medical practice to both under-graduates and post-graduate students who may be assigned to the unit or firm from time to time.
- Performs regular rounds with the Registrar and Junior Officers to assist patients’ management.
- Maintains the discipline and code of behavior of medical staff directly under his/her supervision.
- Accepts other responsibilities that the Medical Director may request for time to time, e.g. representation on Committees, investigates patient management practices and initiates new procedures and services.
- Performs related work as may be required.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize new and old medical knowledge for the development of techniques of patient care in institution.
- Ability to display energy, drive, self-motivation, flexibility in work style and organization, emotional stability, maturity, good communication, interpersonal skills, good work ethic and high moral standards.
- Ability of provide quality care with maximum patient comfort.
- Ability to diagnosis and treat facial pain disorders including those due to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems.
- Knowledge in pain control and advanced training in anesthesia.
- Ability to communicate effectively and inspire team work among medical and nursing staff within the department.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) in OroMaxilloFacial Surgery or American Board Certification in OroMaxilloFacial Surgery or DM in OroMaxilloFacial Surgery.
- A minimum of five (5) years post specialization experience.
- Current registration with the Medical Board of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Current registration with the Dental Council of Trinidad and Tobago.