Reporting to the Senior Programmer, the Systems Analyst in collaboration with other IT staff is responsible for designing new IT solutions, modifying, enhancing or adapting existing systems and integrating new features or improvements, to improve the efficiency of Treasury operations, productivity, and effectiveness. In support of the development and maintenance of the Government’s Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS), and other enterprise wide systems, the incumbent ensures the development of applications that meet the needs of end users, administers the Operating Systems (OS) on which these applications reside, and maintains application backup and recovery schedules.
- Provides technical expertise and recommendations in assessing new IT software projects and initiatives to support and enhance the Treasury’s existing Microsoft based systems;
- Makes recommendations on custom applications which include a number of MS-Access data capture systems for Stewardship and other databases which need to be moved into a central SQL repository;
- Identifies opportunities that can improve efficiency of the Treasury business processes;
- Investigates and resolves application functionality related issues and provides first level support and troubleshooting all Treasury systems;
- Co-ordinates application development for multiple projects;
- Assists in troubleshooting software application issues;
- Assists in managing an outsource relationship for 3rd party application development consultants;
- Assists with application installation and testing;
- Troubleshoots technical issues and identifies modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements;
- Provides assistance and advice to all users in the effective use of applications and information technology;
- Provides minor programming for some in-house IT projects;
- Writes technical procedures and documentation for the applications including operations, user guide, etc.;
- Produces technical documentation for new and existing applications;
- Participates in weekly meetings with the IT network team to discuss progress and issues to be resolved, and report progress on a weekly basis to the Senior Programmer;
- Participates on IT project steering committees and be involved in the design phase of any new IT software development projects;
- Assists in the creation of the system design and functional specifications for all new development projects;
- Serves as a liaison and facilitator between all Divisions and units to assist in addressing and resolving IT software issues.
- Collaborates with Units in regard to business process re-engineering and develops system requirement specifications that meet those needs.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Thorough understanding of structured programming principles, system analysis techniques, system design, industry standard testing principles, system implementation, user training and follow-up
- Thorough understanding of multiple platform function including Mini-Computers, Personal Computers and workstations, to include operating system, utilities, shared and peer function
- A deep understanding of the interdependent relationship between infrastructure, information security and the applications/services they enable as well as the criticality of maintaining strong connections between the respective teams within IT
- Excellent understanding of multi-disciplinary nature of IT solutions
- Ability to see the "big picture" across such areas as private and public hosted infrastructure and services, identity management, security, telecommunications, enterprise storage, end user experience, and training/education
- Functional understanding of project management principles and their application to Infrastructure projects and teams
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions.
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and strategic objectives of the Department in a consistent, effective and efficient manner.
- Strategic Vision: The ability to develop a clear vision of the desired future state of the Department, demonstrate awareness of and or anticipate changing environmental trends, industry opportunities and threats/risks.
- Strategic Planning: The ability to develop effective plans in keeping with the Department’s objectives, including to effectively review policy issues, determine priorities, and set medium and long term goals.
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations.
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality service.
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring IT professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co-operatively with others in pursuit of team goals.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives.
- Leadership and Team Building: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate responsibilities, delegate and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example.
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change, and to lead others through change and manage their concerns.
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills – The ability to display behaviors appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment.
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviors, in order to build trust and credibility.
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing, and in one-on-one face-to-face, with excellent public speaking skills.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or equivalent;
- Six (6) years’ experience as a System/Programmer Analyst or other relevant post.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Required to travel locally;
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines.
Salary range $$1,566,140 – $1,861,649 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.