The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Tax Auditor - Petroleum Audit
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the vacant post of Tax Auditor - Petroleum Audit, Large Taxpayers Division (RS Level: 7) within the Guyana Revenue Authority.
- Interpreting and implementing GRA’s audit policies, programmes, procedures and standards, with regard to Large Taxpayersin the petroleum sector.
- Effectively conducting audits/examinations.
- Investigating activities of taxpayer to ensure that they comply with the legal requirements in accordance with the Tax Laws and Regulations for the petroleum industry.
- Ensuring audit files are complete, properly organised, and maintained.
- Examining taxpayers’ records/documents at the taxpayer’s/representative’s business location or when deemed necessary at the LTD office, and communicating with banking institutions/third parties, for information to determine the accuracy of reported financial/non-financial status and areas of apparent non-compliance and compute tax liabilities.
- Ensuring that all audit issues and findings are properly analysed and have the appropriate legal basis, explore alternative solutions and make the appropriate recommendations in reports.
- Discussing proposed adjustments, penalty recommendations and resolution of technical and significant audit issues with taxpayers/representatives.
- Preparing correspondence to taxpayers informing them of final audit findings.
- Preparing cases to be forwarded to Debt Management to initiate action for collection of delinquent taxes.
- Liaising with internal units/divisions and represent GRA with external stakeholders to maintain a positive image of the GRA.
- Making recommendations to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of relevant audit procedures, work processes and enhance customer service.
- Using GRA’s IT systems (e.g., TRIPs) and Excel spreadsheets to record actions taken during the audit and to generate reassessment notices.
- Educating taxpayers on tax laws, GRA’s policies and procedures and all rights and obligations.
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Bachelor’s Degree in Public/Business Management, Economics, or Accountancy or any other equivalent qualifications
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in auditing and accounting.
- In-depth knowledge of Tax Laws, standard procedures, Trade Policies and related court rulings and case law.
- In-depth knowledge of auditing principles, practices and standards and their application.
- In-depth knowledge of Exchange of Information Conventions and Practices
- In-depth knowledge of tax evasion practices, and international tax issues.
- In-depth knowledge of standard business operational and commercial practices (both local and international).
- Excellent interpersonal skills including, written and oral communication, analytical, persuasive, team building and negotiating skills.
- Excellent leadership, organisation and team building skills.
- High level of Integrity.
- Sound knowledge of the relevant computer systems and applications.
- Ability to organise, motivate and resolve conflict constructively.
- Ability to conduct interviews and be team oriented.