The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Technical Attaché II - Geneva Mission
Job SummaryApplications are now being invited from suitably qualified Nationals of OECS Member States to fill the position of Technical Attaché II - Geneva Mission. This post will be based at the OECS Technical Mission in Geneva.
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is an inter-governmental organisation dedicated to economic harmonisation and integration, protection of human and legal rights, and the encouragement of good governance between independent and non-independent states in the Eastern Caribbean.
The Organisation came into being on 18 June, 1981, when seven Eastern Caribbean countries signed a treaty agreeing to cooperate with each other and promote unity and solidarity among the Members. The Treaty became known as the Treaty of Basseterre, so named in honour of the capital city of St. Kitts and Nevis where it was signed. The 1981 Treaty was replaced in 2010 with a Revised Treaty of Basseterre, creating an economic union. This Revised Treaty was signed on 18 June, 2010 in Saint Lucia at the 51st Meeting of the Authority of the OECS.
Under the direction of the Head, OECS Geneva Mission, the Technical Attaché II shall be responsible for assisting the Technical Attaché III to represent the interests of the OECS Member States in the work of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and the International Trade Centre (ITC) and monitoring, analysing and reporting on the same.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Technical Attaché II shall be required to:
- Monitor and advise on developments and discussions on the work of UNCTAD, WIPO and the ITC as assigned by the Head of Mission;
- Participate and represent the OECS Member States in trade-related meetings with WTO Members and the Commission, NGOs, UN agencies, other special trade and economic-related agencies, and private sector associations.
- Prepare concise briefings on relevant OECS trade-related issues for appropriate circulation within and outside the OECS.
- Prepare technical analyses of papers presented in the multilateral and other trade-related agencies, NGOs, or Member States to provide technical advice and options, and to prepare proposals for meetings in the WTO, other relevant organisations, or in the OECS relating to trade;
- Provide advice and assistance with the implementation of WTO obligations by OECSWTO members;
- Prepare speeches/statements for delivery to the WTO and other trade-related meetings;
- Assist with and participate in WTO-related training activities for all OECS interests and personnel;
- Liaise with capital-based contact points, Missions, High Commissions, Embassies, international organisations, and NGO/Civil Society Groups as directed;
- Support and assist colleagues with their policy work;
- Represent the OECS Member States in meetings and other activities as a delegate both in Geneva and abroad, as may be determined by the Head, OECS Geneva Mission;
- Perform such other duties related to the work of the OECS Mission as may be required and assigned by the Head, OECS Geneva Mission;
- Perform such other duties as may be required and directed from time to time by the Head, Geneva Mission;
- Drives with Purpose and Vision
- Creates an Environment of Trust
- Builds Effective Teams
- Ensures Accountability
- Demonstrates Decision Quality
- Communicates Effectively
- Analysis and Reporting
- Consultation and Facilitation
- Negotiation and Networking
- Programme Management
- Strategic Intelligence
The Technical Attaché II will be expected to:
- Exercise a high degree of responsibility and professionalism in the execution of duties;
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams of professionals;
- Respect the confidentiality of information and decisions of the Commission and its Institutions;
- Work extended hours when the exigencies of the work of the Mission so require.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- At least a master’s degree in International Trade or International Economics
- Working knowledge of:
- International trade negotiations;
- International development and global issues;
- OECS development issues;
WTO certification in International Trade relations desirable;
- At least three years' experience in formulating trade matters (policy, negotiations) preferably in a developing country context;
- Experience in analysing primary and secondary statistical data and information to identify and monitor trends, issues and opportunities, and in developing appropriate briefs and reports;
- Good communication (writing, presentation) skills, with fluency in English. Ability to speak French would be an asset;
- Computer literate, and should be well-acquainted with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The OECS Commission is headquartered in Saint Lucia and the position will be located in Geneva. The position of Technical Attaché II is open to nationals of OECS member states.